Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O.K., I finished up the yard where I dug the Merc and silver cufflinks the other day. Here is what I found. A lot of the old decorative things were in the backyard under leaves and ivy. Nothing great, but I have enough to make the owner a nice shadowbox of relics for her house. She has lots of nice old antiques inside her 1800's house, so the relic box will fit right in. :thumbsup:
One of my favorite pieces this trip was the lantern part dated "Mar. 16, 1869". I've found numerous dated lantern thumb wheels, but this is the first one I've dug with a date on the wick pass through piece. :icon_sunny:
Should have decent weather tomorrow, so I'll be moving on to another spot.
My finds:

*Dated lantern piece- Mar. 16, 1869

*Two wheats - 1916 & 1919

*"Harris Grip Back" suspender clip - Age???? :icon_scratch:

*A few neat decorative pieces. One looks Victorian era.

*Large odd looking button. Age ?????????? :icon_scratch:

*Old chain

*Tootsietoy - Any idea what it is? :icon_scratch:

*Room 740 hotel key from Sir Walter Hotel - Raleigh, NC.
Perhaps someone was trying to hide something? Hmmmmmmmmmm. ;D :wink:

Thanks for looking,
MM

Attachments

• MVC-121S.JPG
    MVC-121S.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 740
  • Sir Walter.jpg
    Sir Walter.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 720
  • MVC-126S.JPG
    MVC-126S.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 728
  • MVC-125S.JPG
    MVC-125S.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 729
  • MVC-124S.JPG
    MVC-124S.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 734
  • MVC-123S.JPG
    MVC-123S.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 717
  • MVC-122S.JPG
    MVC-122S.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 736
Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Nice Rack..... :D,,,,dang wrong thread

Nice finds ....Your suspender clip was made by the Harris Suspender Company

Attachments

• kazoosusad.jpg
    kazoosusad.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 713
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gypsy Heart said:
Nice Rack..... :D,,,,dang wrong thread

Nice finds ....Your suspender clip was made by the Harris Suspender Company

"Rack" another one up to Gypsy. :thumbsup: ;D
Thanks for that ad young lady. :icon_queen:
-Doug-

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
The Harris Suspender Co. derived from the Wire Buckle Suspender Co. consisting of William Silverman, Charles R. Harris, Joseph E. Austrian, and William Freeman in Williamsport, Penn. in the 1890s. Harris was also involved in the Cygnet Cycle Co. manufacturing bicycles in Williamsport around the same time.

In 1897 the suspender manufacturing company moved to New York as the Harris Suspender Co. manufacturing suspenders, braces and garters at 142 W. 14th St. Interestingly, although Harris lent his name to the enterprise, principals included Joseph E. Austrian and William Freeman but not Harris himself.

Harris Suspender stayed for a protracted time on 14th St. (until around 1912). During this time the officers consisted of William Freeman, Edwin M. Silvermann, and Harry W. Silvermann (Joseph E. Austrian seems to have dropped out early on) until 1910. As of Feb. 5, 1910 this partnership was dissolved, and the two Silvermanns took control of the company.

The company relocated to 694 Broadway (1912) and then 1230 Broadway (1921). The New York Public Library's Picture Collection features an ad for Harris Suspender's Kazoo Brand dated 1921 when they were located at 1230 Broadway. This is avaiable on NYPL's Digital Gallery. Then in 1924 they seem to have closed down, only to re-surface in 1936 at 368 W. 148th St. In fact, there may be no connection between the Harris Suspender Co. of 1936 with the earlier firm that moved from Williamsport. They may have been totally unrelated enterprises, sharing the same name. This new version of the company moved to 50 W. 29th St. in 1938 and stayed until 1942. Like the earlier version, they then moved to two Broadway locations, with remarkably similiar addresses: 644 Broadway (1942) and 1239 Broadway (1946). This second version of Harris Suspender went out of business around 1948.

Attachments

• harris.jpg
    harris.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 695

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Nice finds. That should make a nice shadow box.
Dman

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
ModernMiner,
very nice group of artifacts.
Thanks for posting.

Class act with the shadowbox idea. :thumbsup:

have a good un......
SHERMANVILLE

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gypsy Heart said:
The Harris Suspender Co. derived from the Wire Buckle Suspender Co. consisting of William Silverman, Charles R. Harris, Joseph E. Austrian, and William Freeman in Williamsport, Penn. in the 1890s. Harris was also involved in the Cygnet Cycle Co. manufacturing bicycles in Williamsport around the same time.

In 1897 the suspender manufacturing company moved to New York as the Harris Suspender Co. manufacturing suspenders, braces and garters at 142 W. 14th St. Interestingly, although Harris lent his name to the enterprise, principals included Joseph E. Austrian and William Freeman but not Harris himself.

Harris Suspender stayed for a protracted time on 14th St. (until around 1912). During this time the officers consisted of William Freeman, Edwin M. Silvermann, and Harry W. Silvermann (Joseph E. Austrian seems to have dropped out early on) until 1910. As of Feb. 5, 1910 this partnership was dissolved, and the two Silvermanns took control of the company.

The company relocated to 694 Broadway (1912) and then 1230 Broadway (1921). The New York Public Library's Picture Collection features an ad for Harris Suspender's Kazoo Brand dated 1921 when they were located at 1230 Broadway. This is avaiable on NYPL's Digital Gallery. Then in 1924 they seem to have closed down, only to re-surface in 1936 at 368 W. 148th St. In fact, there may be no connection between the Harris Suspender Co. of 1936 with the earlier firm that moved from Williamsport. They may have been totally unrelated enterprises, sharing the same name. This new version of the company moved to 50 W. 29th St. in 1938 and stayed until 1942. Like the earlier version, they then moved to two Broadway locations, with remarkably similiar addresses: 644 Broadway (1942) and 1239 Broadway (1946). This second version of Harris Suspender went out of business around 1948.

Very cool. Thanks Gypsy. So it looks like my clip should be 1924 or later at least. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

allen said:
way to go on those neat relics...is the hotel still open?

Thanks Allen.
I'm pretty sure the building is still there, but the hotel is not listed in the phone book. There is a Sir Walter apartments though downtown, so maybe it was turned into apartments? :icon_scratch:

Dman said:
Nice finds. That should make a nice shadow box.
Dman

Thanks Dman.
She is a very nice lady and was very excited to show me her old house & the antiques inside. She will love some relics to display I bet. :thumbsup:
-Doug-

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:
ModernMiner,
very nice group of artifacts.
Thanks for posting.
Class act with the shadowbox idea. :thumbsup:

have a good un......
SHERMANVILLE

Thanks Sherm.
I like to give something back to the property owners other than a "free aeration" job on the lawns. :tongue3:
If they won't accept the relics, then I buy them a gift or a bottle of wine. Word of mouth can go a long way in this hobby. :wink:
-MM-

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some real historic finds MM. If more relic hunters would graciously share historic finds from the site with the landowner as you are doing, it would greatly improve the image of our hobby. HH tomorrow.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VOL1266-X said:
Some real historic finds MM. If more relic hunters would graciously share historic finds from the site with the landowner as you are doing, it would greatly improve the image of our hobby. HH tomorrow.

Thanks VOL.
Sundays supposed to be cold with possible snow :'( so that will be my shadowbox building day. :thumbsup:
I'll be diggin in the dirt tomorrow though, you can count on it. ;D
-Doug-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr. Pappagiorgio said:
Lish ...

Your Killin' Me ....

We are gettin MORE SNOW ....

Just a KILLER assortment ...

~ Nick ~

Thanks Nick.
I'll send Andy over to your place to dig you out. :tongue3:
-King Lish Farthing III- :icon_king:

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can remember playing with Tootsietoys.....does that make ME a treasure? :icon_scratch: (I have plenty of metal in my body now, so finding me after I'm put "under" will be pretty easy. :wink:
And, a class act, the shadow box. Great thoughts. You'll become known around town, and get some other yards to hunt, and share with. :icon_king:

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds, maybe if you hunt with people from Louisville, you could make shadoebox of trash dug in their parks and give it to their mayor ;D

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Twin Digger said:
Very Nice... I'm a rookie at this I see. Check out my Indian's and please reply. Thanks..

Northwoods

Thanks TD.
-MM-

notgittinenny ( treasures ) said:
Nice finds, maybe if you hunt with people from Louisville, you could make shadoebox of trash dug in their parks and give it to their mayor ;D

Hilarious!!! I was reading about that metal detecting nighmare over in Louisville. What a shame. So should I mainly put pull tabs, foil pieces, and corroded memorial pennies in the mayors shadowbox? :tongue3: :thumbsup:
-MM-

Detectingfreak said:
Looks like you are digging up some awesome relics! :) Can't wait to see what else you get! :)

Thanks DF.
-MM-

hikeinmts said:
I can remember playing with Tootsietoys.....does that make ME a treasure? :icon_scratch: (I have plenty of metal in my body now, so finding me after I'm put "under" will be pretty easy. :wink:
And, a class act, the shadow box. Great thoughts. You'll become known around town, and get some other yards to hunt, and share with. :icon_king:

Thanks Hike. :thumbsup:
I'm also making a shadowbox for the local historical museum to display. I'll have my business card with that one so I can drum up some more spots hopefully. :thumbsup:
-MM-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread