A very fustrating problem.....

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
There is a small, very old park a few blocks from my house. I have tried for almost a year now to detect it. Every time I try, my detector goes completley nuts from the second I turn it on. Even the LCD tweeks out. I have a DFX, and have tried everything I can think of , but it just won't work at that park. It is fustrating as hell, because on the rare occasion when I can make out a signal, it has turned out to be a good find (2 Merc's, a 1916s & 1913 wheats , and a barber quarter) so I know the places is probably loaded with goodies. Any ideas on what could be causing this? There aren't many power lines around. I looked around at the houses, and I don't see any satalite dishes, or wireless internet stuff. The only thing that comes to mind is a small doctors office a few houses down........x-ray machine maybe? My cell phone has a full signal there.

Very fustrating...
Paul

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paul i had that happen last sunday in my brothers back yard.Everything was alright till i detected one spot and my Garrett 550 went crazy.The powerlines were overhead but it never did that before.He said there were no lines underground so i wish someone could explain it too. 8) AA

OP
OP
Paul in WA

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
I don't think there are any underground lines. The detector acts this way everywhere in the park. I'm thinking some kind of signal transmitter nearby? I would be very interested in finding someone else with a different detector to see what they come up with.

We get out share of power outages in this area. You can bet on where I'll be when the next one happens.

Paul

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have run into these places too. If you have a detector where you can change frequecies, you might find it works better. One beach I know of won't let my Fishers or Tesoro work there, nor the Excal. The PI works fine, but sounds of on every hot rock down to China. Takes to long to search this way.

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
look for antennas. maybe there's a pirate radio station or cellsite nearby.

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6-CZ20-Whites surf PI
If I am not mistaken your machine operates at about 15k. Try turning on your car radio and check for a local FM station 150k or an AM station at 5k , You could be picking up a harmonic of you machines operating freq.???????? I have had problems with cb's and ham radios but they were intermittent.

Les

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe it was a dump ???
or back filled with coal ash/iron slag ,etc ;)

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Could be lots of hot rocks or lots of mixed trash items bunched together........ try turning the sens down a little bit at a time, and see if that doesn't help.

Tony M SE IA

Sep 25, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minealab Explorer2
??? Do you have a wireless laptop you can use to check for a signal? I just cant see that causing your problem though. Try walking out into the middle before turning it on :-\ Just an idea.
I have a Minelab xs2 and have had the same problem. It was an old ball field and we never did find out what caused the problem, after a freq change as was well but every time we go there same thing.
Hope you get it going. ;)

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Paul go back to the park and try just 15khz...remember the low frequencies are more susceptible to emi... so if you were in 3khz or best data, or correlate that could be the problem....let us know how it turns out.

OP
OP
Paul in WA

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
DFX-Gregg said:
Paul go back to the park and try just 15khz...remember the low frequencies are more susceptible to emi... so if you were in 3khz or best data, or correlate that could be the problem....let us know how it turns out.

ThanksGregg, this seems to have done the trick. The machine runs much better. It is still chattering more than normal, but I think it is bcause there is a lot of targets that are close together with all the pull tabs. in the half hour I was there this morning, I found $2.77 in clad, a 24 & 16-s wheaties, and a 42 merc.........I now like this spot.

Paul

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread