a very old coin that s unreadable

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Been working a place I hunted for years, progress is catching up so pipes are going in. Still I know at the end the old coins come. Already got an 1836 half dime and cw sites are present.
Today I got to the place and was sad at the condition after a 7 inch rain. Hunted about an hour an a half.
Got a 20 on the minelab and in trashy places I usually skip a 20. Kind of zinc pennies expected. Well got this heavily incrusted penny. Thought, this could be it. Then found a silver Rosevelt dime within 2 feet of it.
Got the coins home and managed to see enough of crusty and it is a flying eagle 1858 penny. So to make it presentable I need advice on cleaning, but know that's a four letter word. Would olive oil be ok an nonharmful.
Thanks for looking. 20210321_161217.jpg

Upvote 9

Thebigd81

Oct 3, 2019
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The one looks like it might have some details. I'd try some hot peroxide and see what comes of it

Good luck!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find! I tend to use the boiling peroxide as well- GL!

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You skip a 20 on the Nox? Not me, the Indians are coming in on that VDI.

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not for cleaning but if you are trying to see any details on a worn coin I have found that putting a light coat of oil (3in1 or mineral) and then turning the coin at a slight angle to light will sometimes reveal what you can't see looking straight on.

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flying Eagles are a tough nut to crack as far as cleaning. The copper nickel content makes the surface very brittle. You can scrape off the detail with your thumb leaving nothing. Ive done it. Whatever you do, go slow and take pictures as you go. I would start with just a Q-tip. Very gentle.. Oh and nice find!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread