A very unique classifier made for a Gold Cube that may work wonders or ....

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just looking around and stumbled on a unique method of classifying materials for a gold cube or in fact any sluice. Does anyone have any ideas or opinions on this device. Here's the link, go play. By the way, I have no connection whatsoever with this product or the people.

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So the larger rocks wash off and the smaller stuff flows backward into the louvers? It seems to me that fast water flow would carry fines right off the top.

coolfinie

Oct 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there is suction applied under the louvers would this arrangement not be planing layers off the underside of the gangue flowing across the top?
I'm thinking of a machine like a meat slicer slicing layers off each pass ,but in this case the louver does the slicing, and the next louver takes a further slice, and so on.

In which case the question is:
1 how high does the smallest gold ride/flow/traverse the deck?
and
2 how much "depth" or what thickness is planed or sliced off at each sucking louver?

I have to say it interests me...

Last edited:

Seden

Jan 28, 2008
Brawn louvered Sluice Box-Cabelas

I found this louvered Brawn Sluice Box on Cabelas. The 24" is $39.88. Does anyone know of someone that owns one of these?

Brawn Sluice Box : Cabela's

Last edited:
OP
OP
ncclaymaker

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I found this louvered Brawn Sluice Box on Cabelas. The 24" is $39.88. Does anyone know of someone that owns one of these?

Brawn Sluice Box : Cabela's

This isn't a Brawn Sluice Box. Looks like one, but this is a feed material classifier. Brawn's louvered sluice is a whole different design.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The idea is interesting, but I can't see it being efficient. I see a LOT more than just oversize cobble going off the end of the sluice. It would require a lot of testing with added fine and super fine placer gold, and then testing of tailings for loss.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here are a couple more videos by the same guy. The first shows a LOT of confidence in his vortex invention due to the obvious expense of his set up. It looks like he uses it for secondary recovery after a conventional sluice run.

This second one is of a roll up sluice mat for a stream sluice.

I presume he must have the same vortex system under the louvers in the classifier in the video that is the subject of this thread. It looks like the overall vortex principle is much the same as the gold well sluice.

Also it looks like he is making some inserts, similar to the ones in the Alaska build, for sluices. My question is do any of these capture most or a lot of the fine gold particles?

Last edited:
OP
OP
ncclaymaker

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Did a little bit of work on the computer using vCarve Pro and my CNC machine to create what may be a decent, slightly improved prototype of what I had earlier posted. Their idea is basically OK, but lacked any real means of creating a downward suction flow of any significance. All clear slick plate parts are 0.125 inch X 5 inch Lexan, foam filled molding used for mounting assembly, cheap super glue holds the assembly together. From concept to here, about 1 hour or so, and one cup of good coffee.

Check out the images, and please, do express your opinions and/or ideas... is it a good idea, or needs more work, or send it to the trash bin, or how can it be made to be more functionally efficiently.

I added a 1/2 inch riffle at 35 degrees or so, at the end of each slick plate, just right before the downward fall of slurry. Hopefully, this will cause a change in flow, to downward and slightly reverse direction. This will fit inside of a six inch PVC pipe as a contained classifier. Rocks, slurry and water in, rocks and pebbles ejected out... slurry into the sluice below.

View attachment 1257705

View attachment 1257703 View attachment 1257704

4" intake in a 6" PVC cylinder
View attachment 1258258

discharge from the 6" cylinder, note the slurry opening to the sluice below
View attachment 1258259

Last edited:
OP
OP
ncclaymaker

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here are a couple more videos by the same guy. The first shows a LOT of confidence in his vortex invention due to the obvious expense of his set up. It looks like he uses it for secondary recovery after a conventional sluice run.

This second one is of a roll up sluice mat for a stream sluice.

I presume he must have the same vortex system under the louvers in the classifier in the video that is the subject of this thread. It looks like the overall vortex principle is much the same as the gold well sluice.

Also it looks like he is making some inserts, similar to the ones in the Alaska build, for sluices. My question is do any of these capture most or a lot of the fine gold particles?

The video that I had posted, had a Gold Cube under the classifier. Their design appears to be a modified louvre/louver.

Looking at the angle of the sluices, they're fairly steep, but necessary, if one is ejecting large stones, pebbles and rubble. I did test the Gold Well this past week at a 5 - 5.5 degree angle. But I had pre-classified the material down to 0.25 inch. The rest was shot out of the classifier as waste. I was testing in an area that had a season's worth of dredging, etc. in an attempt to recover super-fine gold. I found that by pre-classifying, it allowed me to reduce the sluice angle to a ridiculously shallow angle of attack, albeit with plenty of water. It may seem that I'm on a classification binge, but I wanted to see if Bernie's GW worked or not. I did find however, that to recover fine particulate gold, a shallow sluice angle is probably a necessity, otherwise "gold-be-gone".

I was asked for photos of the stuff that was recovered. I always thought that if you're going bass fishing, who takes pictures of the minnows. I didn't really think that pictures of fines would be all that important, but when I get myself out into the water again, I'll photo the results for all of the naysayers and doubters.

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The video that I had posted, had a Gold Cube under the classifier. Their design appears to be a modified louvre/louver.

Yeah. I saw that. I think that under the louvers they had the spiral setup somehow exit into a hole(s) that ultimately fed the classified cons into the cube(?). Interesting design no matter how it works.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread