What's new

A very unique find, to me anyway!

Curious The George

Hero Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2008
Messages
655
Reaction score
133
Golden Thread
1
Location
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My hunting partner, Buck, got permission for us to get on a private farm field in an area where CW troops passed and camped. We did make some finds that would lead one to think the troops had been there. A 1862 Indian Head, dropped three ring bullet, heel plate w/heart piercing, fired round ball, pistol bullet, 1877 Seated Liberty Quarter, 1891 Indian Head, piece of broken muzzle loading rifle trigger guard, bridle rosette, small piece of pewter spoon, fragment of a harmonica reed and a lantern wick adjuster.

In addition the usual broken pieces of farm equipment, bolts, plow points, broken cast iron pots and pot lids.

And ....... half of a lead mold to make counterfeit Seated Liberty Quarters. (This detail has now been investigated and changed to the mold being for a V-Nickle.)

The lead mold half was bent in a "V" shape when struck by a plow. I straighten it out flat again by gingerly squeezing in a wood workers vise.

I have played around with the image in of the mold cavity to enhance the design. The photo of just the cavity it's self has been reversed. This makes the image look the same way the coin that was used to make it instead of backwards as it looks in actuality.

Unfortunately a plow rode across the cavity wiping out the last two digits of the date. You can see the "18" clearly and that's it. Three feet from the mold I found a fairly nice 1877 Seated Liberty Quarter Dollar and I just wonder if this coin is the one used to make the mold.
 

Attachments

  • CIMG2147.webp
    CIMG2147.webp
    56.7 KB · Views: 3,085
  • CIMG2146.webp
    CIMG2146.webp
    34.3 KB · Views: 3,056
  • CIMG2145A.webp
    CIMG2145A.webp
    68.7 KB · Views: 3,034
  • CIMG2148.webp
    CIMG2148.webp
    57.9 KB · Views: 3,058
Upvote 2
That mold is awesome!
 
WOW!!!! Very cool!!!
 
That is an awesome find! Really cool!
 
Something kept nagging me about the coin used to make the mold. I finally figured it out by rotating the photo until the date was straight across the bottom as one normally would look a the coin.

As I said earlier I reversed or flipped the image so it would appear as if you were looking at the coin instead of the mirror image of it.

I am now certain that the mold is to cast fake V-Nickles or what is also known as Liberty Head 1883-1912 Nickel.

I attached the rotated image of the mold and if you have a V-Nickel or a book with a photo of one you can make out the head, stars and date (except for the last two digits)
 

Attachments

  • CIMG2145A Rotated.webp
    CIMG2145A Rotated.webp
    64.5 KB · Views: 2,896
nice finds like the heart shaped heel plate often used by ladys of the nite so customers could follow her to her house of operation heel prints in the dirt
 
I agree that def. Looks like a mold for a v nickel, sweet find! I found that exact heel plate last fall, congrats on a super hunt!
 
Damn...that is a helluva a cool find!!!
 
Now thats a darn GREAT find!!!!! :notworthy:
 
Very cool find :icon_thumleft:
 
That is an Awesome find! :hello2:
 
wow that is a unique piece!
 
That mold should really be on the Banner. Not something that's every been found before that I know of. Well done!

Brian
 
wow that's an incredible find.

:icon_thumleft:
 
Great find!!! It looks cool up top in the Banner, logged in and saw someting new up top HH Chug
 
I'm having trouble making out what you are describing but I'll take your word for it regarding the details.

You mention the "V" or Liberty Nickel. Don't forget that for that issue in the first year the word Cents was not on the reverse for part of the run. Many 1883 "V" Nickels were plated and passed as $5 Gold pieces. Your mold could actually be part of a process for making counterfeit $5 gold pieces. Pretty neat! :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom