What's new

Does Coca-Cola taste different lately?

There is another current thread saying the same thing about root beer - that it has been “changed” by someone for some nefarious reason and is inferior to that of the good old days of the past.
Root beer doesn't have sassafras oil from trees, since 1960. My dad used to make root beer with yeast, Hires and other extracts.

"The oil extracted from sassafras wood (specifically the root bark) is used as a primary ingredient (a "precursor") in the illicit manufacture of the illegal hallucinogenic drugs
MDMA (ecstasy, molly) and MDA (known on the street as "sassafras" or "sass").

Key Details
  • Safrole: The active chemical compound responsible is called safrole, which is found in high concentrations in the oil of the sassafras root bark.
  • Illicit Production: Safrole is a "List I chemical" monitored by the US Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) due to its use in clandestine laboratories to synthesize these controlled substances.
  • Health and Legal Status: The use of sassafras for food or medicinal purposes (such as in root beer or tea) was banned by the FDA in 1960 because safrole was found to be a potential carcinogen, causing liver damage and cancer in animal studies. Consuming concentrated sassafras oil can also be immediately toxic and potentially fatal."
 
I used to make it with Yeast, Hires & Sugar.
I always added Extra Yeast . Occasionally a Cap used to Blow off a Bottle While they were Curing . I Never heard of safrole Till I Checked Why Rootbeer Sucks Today
 
I used to make it with Yeast, Hires & Sugar.
I always added Extra Yeast . Occasionally a Cap used to Blow off a Bottle While they were Curing . I Never heard of safrole Till I Checked Why Rootbeer Sucks Today
I still make it, very easy to do, I use brown sugar and twice the extract.
 
Not sure, but I hope they replace the corn syrup with actual cane sugar for the mainline coke products. World of a difference.
 
...wasn't "new coke" a sneaky way of switching to corn syrup?
 
...wasn't "new coke" a sneaky way of switching to corn syrup?
I am not sure, I think they just tried changing the formula. Makes you think though, If Coca-Cola had to change the recipe in some way. Do you think they would announce it in any way??
:censored:🤫
So who knows? Tastes different to me.
 
To me, I can only taste the difference with Coke made the old fashioned way with regular cane sugar versus the newer version made with High Fructose corn syrup.
 
...yeah the first time I had a Mexican coke..IN A GLASS BOTTLE, by the way... I was blown away, I actually LIKED it!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom