What's new

A watchamacallit!

timekiller

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2009
Messages
3,853
Reaction score
965
Golden Thread
1
Location
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this relic digging around a late 1700s homesite on the river. It is made of ceramic, has some kind of metal rod running through it, and I'm thinking it had to do with something electrical seeing as it has ceramic around a metal rod like it's for insulation.
 

Attachments

  • 2009_0211River-Finds0007.webp
    2009_0211River-Finds0007.webp
    89.8 KB · Views: 733
  • 2009_0211River-Finds0005.webp
    2009_0211River-Finds0005.webp
    60.4 KB · Views: 708
  • 2009_0211River-Finds0006.webp
    2009_0211River-Finds0006.webp
    76.9 KB · Views: 698
Montana Jim said:
Neat... old timey spark plug or insulator?
If it is a spark plug, is there a piece missing that would screw into the engine block that would be metal or ceramic?
 
Upvote 0
Looks like part of a modern TIG welding torch (TIG = Tungsten Inert Gas)

Tig welding torch.webp

Mike
 
Upvote 0
I say spark plug with the metal nut and threading removed.
 

Attachments

  • 5e412281f4ab2fb2.webp
    5e412281f4ab2fb2.webp
    5.1 KB · Views: 600
Upvote 0
Old spark plugs are often used for sinkers for catfish fishing. Seeing how it was found on a river bank that would be my guess.
 
Upvote 0
I found a plug pic from a strange web site... if you kind of look past the odd text, it shows this spark plug that had washed ashore (?) is Deleware.

Source (Scroll Half Way): http://www.rense.com/general66/solid.htm

I compared the two side by side... I think maybe the sinker idea is the best idea.

spark plug.webp
 
Upvote 0
trikikiwi said:
Looks like part of a modern TIG welding torch (TIG = Tungsten Inert Gas)




Mike

Looks like it's a spark plug ;D

Mike
 
Upvote 0
The Spark plug porcelain wins out no question.
 
Upvote 0
Yep, that's what it is a old spark plug insulator. the early plugs had threaded metal on the bottom to disassemble them to clean or replace the insulator part if needed. it would have had the base that was metal that screwed in the engine and then another threaded piece that slipped over the lower "shelf" on the insulator to assemble the plug together.
 
Upvote 0
I had just re-read this thread and visited the site link offered by Montana Jim

Montana Jim said:
I found a plug pic from a strange web site... if you kind of look past the odd text, it shows this spark plug that had washed ashore (?) is Deleware.

Source (Scroll Half Way): http://www.rense.com/general66/solid.htm

I compared the two side by side... I think maybe the sinker idea is the best idea.

I've seen that site before, but had another read anyway; along the way noticing this item

candlestick1.webp

supposedly 100,000 years old. :o

Then, within a few minutes of moving on to help DD-777 with his search "Pewter - but what?"
I found this

candlestick2.webp

from http://eronjohnsonantiques.com/dynapage/IP15204.htm

stated to be an "18th Century Indian Moghul Inlaid Pewter Candlestick"

Amazing how that design had stayed alive for a previous 99,800 years ;D

Mike
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom