What's new

A Word in yer Ear, Bonny Lad!

Well John, I reckon "awesome" is in the eyes of the beholder, don't you think? Like, I might think that lady looks awesome in a sweater, and you might think that I'm just a pervert. What the heck, we both might be right ---------- what ever.
 
Another great post John Winter, yet you leave me quite bewildered as to it's intent or my response?
I side with BosnMate. Awesome is in the eye of the beholder.
My first silver metal detecting find is truly Awesome to me, yet others simply view it as an object, and the first question they ask is "what's it worth"? This always infuriates me, as most care more of value than circumstance, history, location, etc?
I hope you continue to post your fascinating, thought provoking and informational threads here.
I find them "Awesome Dude"!
Peace ✌
 
‘We have really everything in common with America nowadays except, of course, language’. - Oscar Wilde, 1887

I was as guilty with "cool" or "really" for positive reinforcement phrases in my youth. The language of the U.S. is flexible and adaptable - the sign of a healthy living organism.

You can't claim English Proper to be any less full of colloquialisms. Is a "lift" still a "lift" on the way down?

And I guarantee you we will chuckle if you mention something being "a total cock up"

Give it a few years. Rather than "awesome" the response will just be "AWM" or just "A". I get messages from my nieces and nephews that contain no vowels. WYGD? ("What you gon'na do?)


We had a near reportable indecent at a chemical plant I worked at when one of the managers called a engineer who moved here as an adult from England "Buster".

As in "Look, buster, that will never work." To us it's just a fill-in for a man, like "Bub" or "Mister". Obviously ment something different to him!

We never did figure out what "buster" equated to but no one called him that ever again . . . when he could reach them. ;-)
 
Last edited:
Charlie P. (NY), I will continually be guilty of "cool". Although, "seriously" has replaced "really". ;)
I'm just so pleased you spelled colloquialisms correctly and used it in proper context.
Well done sir!
Peace ✌
 
We were taught cursive writing and penmanship in school. It was a constant as a child. The other day I wrote some notes in cursive in it looked awful. It was broken print and cursive mixed together. I enjoy how my parents generation had such elaborate penmanship.But then they even studied Latin in school. That I can read. Yet the stuff from around the civil war gives me fits. Now schools are not teaching cursive writing at all. Yet the kids quickly learn to speak it!
I have a hard enough time typing :occasion14:
 
Thank you for all your comments. I assure you that I am just playing Devil's Advocate and trying to get a response.
I was aghast when a recent spam post attracted more attention then any of mine ever got ... I exaggerate, but you get the point.

Just an aside to the 'cock-up' remark, meaning 'you've made a mess of things'. On the contrary, at my age I can assure you that a cock-up would be quite an achievement!

And yes ... the lifts still go down as well as up!
Language is fluid, often funny and can be quite awesome at times.

Thanks / John
 
Tnmountains, I too remember the early schooling of penmanship. As the years progressed, the lines became smaller.
I had 4yrs of Latin. Back then, I could translate and script as a physician of this era. No longer. My actual writing is broken cursive/print. What a shame. Time, seams to give and steal simultaneously?
Peace ✌
 
We were taught cursive writing and penmanship in school. It was a constant as a child. The other day I wrote some notes in cursive in it looked awful. It was broken print and cursive mixed together. I enjoy how my parents generation had such elaborate penmanship.But then they even studied Latin in school. That I can read. Yet the stuff from around the civil war gives me fits. Now schools are not teaching cursive writing at all. Yet the kids quickly learn to speak it!
I have a hard enough time typing :occasion14:

Here is a sample of my great grandmothers hand writing. Mine hand writing was never very good, and hasn't improved over the years.
1.webp
 
Here is a sample of my great grandmothers hand writing. Mine hand writing was never very good, and hasn't improved over the years.
View attachment 1086955

That is great penmanship.It is an art but to them a letter was everything. I bought a calligraphy set once and thought I would learn to write correctly. I never had the time or maybe the skill. Now spell check is my friend. The neat thing about here at T-net and what brought me here was the collective knowledge brought together with common interest.
Good luck in your hunts!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom