May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We did this area next to an old Abbey some years ago & our 2 year effort run out in Dec 2018, when they previous owners asked us to pay £200 per person, per year. We politely turned them down, now a few years on the farm was sold to one of our larger land-owners, so now it's free. What goes around, comes around.
There was a guy detect this for some years before us, so we were getting left-overs, so to speak. But there was enough to keep our interest.
There was 1 thing I was really hoped to get today & thats the tiny lead Tokens, that are only found near this Abbey. My thought is that these farthing size tokens were produced when the Abbey was short of small change (& they were in debt in the 14th C). A leading expert on Lead Tokens got very excited with the last lot I showed him, as he hadn't seen anything like it. They may get included in a book or professional write-up.
They were drilling this field with Spring Wheat whilst we were on it, so time is running out....
(5 hrs 45mins)

8 Scrappies
2 Tiny Lead Tokens8-)
Lead disc with incised pattern
Roman Nails
Cauldron Foot
Bit of a Roman Buckle
Bit of a Roman Bracelet
Bit of a Medieval Fitment with Beast Head (Can't ID it properly)
1854 Threepence
Scottish Alex III Penny
Ed II Penny

1497-1521 French Jetton from Tournai. This was right at the end of the Abbey's use & to thing this Jetton with IHS was moved around a board by a Monk, is pretty cool. These connections are funny to think about!
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 28

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember you said the landowner wanted you to pay for detecting....
Now it's your laugh!
Good to see you bringing home two of the lead tokens. I like the broken spectacle buckle with the pin still attached. And silver again. This site will keep you going for some time. Is the abbey related to an older sacred place? Roman/iron age?

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We did this area next to an old Abbey some years ago & our 2 year effort run out in Dec 2018, when they previous owners asked us to pay £200 per person, per year. We politely turned them down, now a few years on the farm was sold to one of our larger land-owners, so now it's free. What goes around, comes around.
There was a guy detect this for some years before us, so we were getting left-overs, so to speak. But there was enough to keep our interest.
There was 1 thing I was really hoped to get today & thats the tiny lead Tokens, that are only found near this Abbey. My thought is that these farthing size tokens were produced when the Abbey was short of small change (& they were in debt in the 14th C). A leading expert on Lead Tokens got very excited with the last lot I showed him, as he hadn't seen anything like it. They may get included in a book or professional write-up.
They were drilling this field with Spring Wheat whilst we were on it, so time is running out....

8 Scrappies
2 Tiny Lead Tokens8-)
Roman Nails
Cauldron Foot
Bit of a Roman Buckle
Bit of a Roman Bracelet
1854 Threepence
Scottish Alex III Penny
Ed II Penny

1497-1521 French Jetton from Tournai. This was right at the end of the Abbey's use & to thing this Jetton with IHS was moved around a board by a Monk, is pretty cool. These connections are funny to think about! View attachment 2072481 View attachment 2072482 View attachment 2072483 View attachment 2072484 View attachment 2072485 View attachment 2072486 View attachment 2072487 View attachment 2072488 View attachment 2072489 View attachment 2072491
Awesome!

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

8 Scrappies
2 Tiny Lead Tokens8-)
Roman Nails
Cauldron Foot
Bit of a Roman Buckle
Bit of a Roman Bracelet
1854 Threepence
Scottish Alex III Penny
Ed II Penny

1497-1521 French Jetton from Tournai. This was right at the end of the Abbey's use & to thing this Jetton with IHS was moved around a board by a Monk, is pretty cool. These connections are funny to think about! View attachment 2072481 View attachment 2072482 View attachment 2072483 View attachment 2072484 View attachment 2072485 View attachment 2072486 View attachment 2072487 View attachment 2072488 View attachment 2072489 View attachment 2072491
How exciting Cru',
You and Cru'dad did well...that seems to me to be a solid day of good finds...I would love to detect near an abbey...

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

8 Scrappies
2 Tiny Lead Tokens8-)
Roman Nails
Cauldron Foot
Bit of a Roman Buckle
Bit of a Roman Bracelet
1854 Threepence
Scottish Alex III Penny
Ed II Penny

nice silver man those lead tokens are very cool happy you got two of 'em

Jorgeke

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2021

8 Scrappies
2 Tiny Lead Tokens8-)
Roman Nails
Cauldron Foot
Bit of a Roman Buckle
Bit of a Roman Bracelet
1854 Threepence
Scottish Alex III Penny
Ed II Penny

1497-1521 French Jetton from Tournai. This was right at the end of the Abbey's use & to thing this Jetton with IHS was moved around a board by a Monk, is pretty cool. These connections are funny to think about! View attachment 2072481 View attachment 2072482 View attachment 2072483 View attachment 2072484 View attachment 2072485 View attachment 2072486 View attachment 2072487 View attachment 2072488 View attachment 2072489 View attachment 2072491 Great findings

Congrats

Keep detecting, keep posting

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now it's your laugh!
Is the abbey related to an older sacred place? Roman/iron age?
To be honest I laughed at the suggestion of money in the first place.

There is a Roman Site right next to the Abbey (built in mid 12th C), no signs of Roman Ritual Activity. The signs are pointing towards a Roman Pottery industry, as we have found loads of clay kiln bars (spacers). It is on a spit of land that has marshy ground around it, so they have picked the high ground & re-used the old Roman Road going to the Pottery Industry as access to other major routes.

river roamer

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2022
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II Excalibur 1000 Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Very impressive finds :icon_thumleft::icon_thumright: Congrats

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusader I sure enjoy seeing and reADING YOUR POSTINGS :) MANY THANKS !!!

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be honest I laughed at the suggestion of money in the first place.

There is a Roman Site right next to the Abbey (built in mid 12th C), no signs of Roman Ritual Activity. The signs are pointing towards a Roman Pottery industry, as we have found loads of clay kiln bars (spacers). It is on a spit of land that has marshy ground around it, so they have picked the high ground & re-used the old Roman Road going to the Pottery Industry as access to other major routes.
That makes sense.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(5 hrs 45mins)

8 Scrappies
2 Tiny Lead Tokens8-)
Roman Nails
Cauldron Foot
Bit of a Roman Buckle
Bit of a Roman Bracelet
1854 Threepence
Scottish Alex III Penny
Ed II Penny

Awesome!!! Congrats!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions