Abbey Site - Day 2 - Roundhead Supporters Pipe Tamper & Seal Matrix...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The grid continues along the Roman Track-way that entered the Abbey. Its where the old Medieval Village stood over the top of a Roman Pottery centre. (Found another Kiln Bar today, eyes only)
Detected for 5 hrs 15mins & the last 15mins we got soaked, but the rain was worth it because Cru'dad got an unusual 17th C Seal (2nd to last run).

I spent 1.5 hrs on my own scouting a field at the other end of the Abbey, no joy, so we can cross that off the list.

14 Roman Coins - 2 Good ones & 1 was Pierced
Scrap Silver (pipe trim)
Late Medieval Decor Mount
2 Roman Pin-heads
Bit of a Roman Bracelet
Another Tiny Lead Token
17th C Pipe Tamper (most of the tamper has broken off) & Seal/Ring Combo. I've had these types before but what makes this special is the symbology on it (Once the impression is made);
It has the Cross of St George representing England on the Left & the Harp of Ireland on the Right in an Oval Shield/Cartouche surrounded by a Wreath.
These elements are used on Commonwealth Period Coins, the Wreath being the Victory of Parliamentarian Roundheads over the King. This imagery was used from 1649-60 which narrows the usual 17th C dating of this type of Seal Matrix. I can't find another one, but I going to speculate they were produced for this purpose, to show your Loyalty to the Roundhead cause & which side of the Civil War you were on. (The winning side)
I'm sure the Civil War guys would go nuts over this....

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 33

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your success
Voting Banner on your beautiful Roman coin

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The grid continues along the Roman Track-way that entered the Abbey. Its where the old Medieval Village stood over the top of a Roman Pottery centre. (Found another Kiln Bar today, eyes only)
Detected for 5 hrs 15mins & the last 15mins we got soaked, but the rain was worth it because Cru'dad got an unusual 17th C Seal (2nd to last run).

I spent 1.5 hrs on my own scouting a field at the other end of the Abbey, no joy, so we can cross that off the list.

Scrap Silver (pipe trim)
2 Roman Pin-heads
Bit of a Roman Bracelet
17th C Pipe Tamper (most of the tamper has broken off) & Seal/Ring Combo. I've had these types before but what makes this special is the symbology on it (Once the impression is made);
It has the Cross of St George representing England on the Left & the Harp of Ireland on the Right in an Oval Shield/Cartouche surrounded by a Wreath.
These elements are used on Commonwealth Period Coins, the Wreath being the Victory of Parliamentarian Roundheads over the King. This imagery was used from 1649-60 which narrows the usual 17th C dating of this type of Seal Matrix. I can't find another one, but I going to speculate they were produced for this purpose, to show your Loyalty to the Roundhead cause & which side of the Civil War you were on. (The winning side)

View attachment 2072943 View attachment 2072944 View attachment 2072945 View attachment 2072946 View attachment 2072947 View attachment 2072948
Wonderful finds.

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Scrap Silver (pipe trim)
2 Roman Pin-heads
Bit of a Roman Bracelet

View attachment 2072943 View attachment 2072944 View attachment 2072945 View attachment 2072946 View attachment 2072947 View attachment 2072948
Love the seal...it was a good outing...and always enjoy the bits of history you share from your finds!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't know if you've maintained all those finds through the years but if so, you must one massive room full of displays- amazing stuff yet again!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Scrap Silver (pipe trim)
2 Roman Pin-heads
Bit of a Roman Bracelet

Very Cool!!! Congrats!!! Like the seal matrix:)

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Scrap Silver (pipe trim)
2 Roman Pin-heads
Bit of a Roman Bracelet

Another nice haul! Congratulations

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wet soil has eaten up some of the bronze but the wax seal survived in good condition! Great research on the seal, something learned again!

dieselfool

Dec 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another outstanding group for you! After so many years I would think the stuff would be too far down for a detector to read. Splendid job there, lad!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another outstanding group for you! After so many years I would think the stuff would be too far down for a detector to read. Splendid job there, lad!
Ploughing keeps it on top & I mean thousands of years of ploughing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions