🥇 BANNER About as close to the fur-trade holy grail as I am gonna get. The Cross of Lorainne.

mglentz4125

Dec 27, 2016
Harbor Springs, MI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20221010_143838.jpg
Now I have had a couple of decent years of detecting but nothing compared to THIS!

I found a decent fur trade site in the middle of the Michigan woods and was happy to have unearthed a couple pairs of scissors, musket ball, fire-steel, etc. The usual good stuff I love to find. I kept on until I got a decent deep high-tone and started whacking away (but being careful) and about passed out when I saw this thing sticking out from the roots.

This is a bucket-lister I never really thought I would ever see. A French silver 'Cross of Lorainne' stamped 'RC' (Robert Cruikshank / Montreal silversmith) which dates this to the late 1700s. I am not sure I can ever top it.

Crazy. Crazy. Crazy. Cheers fellow diggers!!

20221011_201720.jpg
20221011_201736.jpg
20221010_144131.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 174

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How are banner quality finds decided?
When you put your cursor on the "like" word icons appear. The medal, the third one from the left is the banner vote one, and to vote banner you click it. Banner designation is in the eyes of the members, if something is really cool, rare, or valuable or all of those people will vote. I am not sure of how many banner votes it takes to get the banner but sometimes what I think is a banner find doesn't get enough votes and doesn't make the banner. So if you think something deserves banner just give it your vote. Banner finds are not common, way less than one a day for the whole membership, so it has to be a pretty special find.. Oh, and a banner find has to be found by the poster, not a friend or relative and I think a poster must have over fifty posts to make the banner. Maybe one of the mods will add more info.

hollARDog

Jun 18, 2022
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you put your cursor on the "like" word icons appear. The medal, the third one from the left is the banner vote one, and to vote banner you click it. Banner designation is in the eyes of the members, if something is really cool, rare, or valuable or all of those people will vote. I am not sure of how many banner votes it takes to get the banner but sometimes what I think is a banner find doesn't get enough votes and doesn't make the banner. So if you think something deserves banner just give it your vote. Banner finds are not common, way less than one a day for the whole membership, so it has to be a pretty special find.. Oh, and a banner find has to be found by the poster, not a friend or relative and I think a poster must have over fifty posts to make the banner. Maybe one of the mods will add more info.
Very good info sir and I tip the hat to ya🤠

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Score, what do you think the deal is with the scissors?
Always something needing mending or making.
Needles and thimbles and scissors made for great trade goods.

Things to be cut that previously were done with a knife or sharp stone material.
Haircuts. Fingernails. Birch bark. Thinner leathers. Wool and other trade cloth. Sinew.
Boughs for bedding. Cedar roots. Plant fibers and bark for making cordage.
Foods for meal preps. Trimming furs before drying them. (Rough or irregular edges on a pelts borders to make them look better.)
Anyone who has cleaned a quantity of small fish using a pair of scissors will agree they speed up the process.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think those scissors are anywhere near as old as the cross.
Possibly not.

Not uncommon at all to find more recent site activities atop former native sites.
They were originally chosen for very good reason.
Many of the former century old former trails here in MI. became roads.
And plenty of villages are on former native sites. Some that are not found out why natives didn't use them too!

Particular (larger) river valleys saw lots of traffic and occupation.
River mouths ect. for occupation per season.
With migrations not uncommon between winter and summer.

Our op mglentz is in the Upper Penn.
Migrations for more reasons than seasons there. From the West in Wisconsin (and beyond likely) to Detroit and beyond.
E.-W. and N. to new France.
A study of early Euro contact and who allied with whom will explain the N. vs.S. conflict causing so much Euro trade to swing North.
Though French ambition was quite different than British.
Yet native groups moved other native groups about too. Some likely prior. And multiple after.
The Neutral tribe but one example of the fur trades negative effect causing competition among tribes.

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 2050246 Now I have had a couple of decent years of detecting but nothing compared to THIS!

I found a decent fur trade site in the middle of the Michigan woods and was happy to have unearthed a couple pairs of scissors, musket ball, fire-steel, etc. The usual good stuff I love to find. I kept on until I got a decent deep high-tone and started whacking away (but being careful) and about passed out when I saw this thing sticking out from the roots.

This is a bucket-lister I never really thought I would ever see. A French silver 'Cross of Lorainne' stamped 'RC' (Robert Cruikshank / Montreal silversmith) which dates this to the late 1700s. I am not sure I can ever top it.

Crazy. Crazy. Crazy. Cheers

mglentz,

Congratulations on making the Banner. Definitely well deserved. Good luck with your hunts. Walt

OP
OP
mglentz4125

mglentz4125

Dec 27, 2016
Harbor Springs, MI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MGlentz,

Wow. Definitely a hunt to remember. The Cross of Lorraine is simply a once in a lifetime amazing find, congratulations. I definitely agree with Blak Bart and Pepper that this hunt needs to be up on the Banner. Goof luck with your hunts. Wa

Congratulations on making banner! 👏🏻🎉
Thanks all! Now I can retire to a cold and snowy winter and be happy. :)

OP
OP
mglentz4125

mglentz4125

Dec 27, 2016
Harbor Springs, MI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possibly not.

Not uncommon at all to find more recent site activities atop former native sites.
They were originally chosen for very good reason.
Many of the former century old former trails here in MI. became roads.
And plenty of villages are on former native sites. Some that are not found out why natives didn't use them too!

Particular (larger) river valleys saw lots of traffic and occupation.
River mouths ect. for occupation per season.
With migrations not uncommon between winter and summer.

Our op mglentz is in the Upper Penn.
Migrations for more reasons than seasons there. From the West in Wisconsin (and beyond likely) to Detroit and beyond.
E.-W. and N. to new France.
A study of early Euro contact and who allied with whom will explain the N. vs.S. conflict causing so much Euro trade to swing North.
Though French ambition was quite different than British.
Yet native groups moved other native groups about too. Some likely prior. And multiple after.
The Neutral tribe but one example of the fur trades negative effect causing competition among tribes.
I have to respectfully disagree about the scissors as I have found a good number of them found in/around old trade sites. They are all the same size and design and no real reason to believe that the French / British did not have available. Some are fairly fancy too. I have found a few dozen thimbles with them with a good majority of those having a single "hole" made (in the thimble) so they could be worn as adornments.

King Canslaw

Nov 30, 2017
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2050246 Now I have had a couple of decent years of detecting but nothing compared to THIS!

View attachment 2050243 View attachment 2050244 View attachment 2050245
Unreally awsum. how do you fin a place were silver and tradin was dun? id lick to look fer some were I live.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to respectfully disagree about the scissors as I have found a good number of them found in/around old trade sites. They are all the same size and design and no real reason to believe that the French / British did not have available. Some are fairly fancy too. I have found a few dozen thimbles with them with a good majority of those having a single "hole" made (in the thimble) so they could be worn as adornments.
Respectfully:

French and British did not have available? They had them available to themselves. And as trade goods.
Any technology improvements Europeans displayed were incentive to trying out by some by natives.

Yes , we see thimbles used similar to prior shell use for decorative purpose.
If it was up for trade , waiting ladies needed kept in mind too.
Small notions could equal "change" or adding boot to make up a value.

My suggested uses for scissors by natives are sound. And thier being trade goods ; as well.

Hudson Bay Company discussion.https://kids.britannica.com/students/article/Hudsons-Bay-Company/274969
[The Indigenous people traded pelts from beavers, foxes, bears, and wolves. In exchange, the company gave the Indigenous people weapons, gunpowder, bullets, beads, fishhooks, axes, sewing needles, scissors, cooking pots, and wool blankets.}

KodyB

Aug 28, 2022

View attachment 2050243 View attachment 2050244 View attachment 2050245
That’s absolutely incredible!
I’m sure you wouldn’t ever sell it, but just curious what the value would be??
Any idea

OP
OP
mglentz4125

mglentz4125

Dec 27, 2016
Harbor Springs, MI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unreally awsum. how do you fin a place were silver and tradin was dun? id lick to look fer some were I live.
Most all are on or immediately near the water (no more than a mile I would say). You may meed to do some local research and talk to some of the old salty guys that have been detecting for decades. They may be able to point you in the right direction.

Try walking along natural land features that follow the water and look for clues. Sometimes it means swinging the coil for hours and finding that one random drop along a trail. Other times its a pile of targets. Good luck and happy hunting!

OP
OP
mglentz4125

mglentz4125

Dec 27, 2016
Harbor Springs, MI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Respectfully:

French and British did not have available? They had them available to themselves. And as trade goods.
Any technology improvements Europeans displayed were incentive to trying out by some by natives.

Yes , we see thimbles used similar to prior shell use for decorative purpose.
If it was up for trade , waiting ladies needed kept in mind too.
Small notions could equal "change" or adding boot to make up a value.

My suggested uses for scissors by natives are sound. And thier being trade goods ; as well.

Hudson Bay Company discussion.https://kids.britannica.com/students/article/Hudsons-Bay-Company/274969
[The Indigenous people traded pelts from beavers, foxes, bears, and wolves. In exchange, the company gave the Indigenous people weapons, gunpowder, bullets, beads, fishhooks, axes, sewing needles, scissors, cooking pots, and wool blankets.
Agree! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread