accidental find

C

coloradocav

A lot was being dug out for a new building while on a visit to New York, upon further inspection a layer of about 8 feet thick of leather goods and cavalry horse equipage from early 1900's was located. Must have been old surplus or somthing. bits, bridles, great seal eagle and bullseye rosettes, holsters, shako buttons, jungle hat vents etc. most of the leather I got, after using saddle soap revealed mostly Rock Island arsenal stamps. Unfortunatly time and no more room cut the dig. The rest of the stuff now is probably burried in the City dump. Talk about what dreams are made of! Here is a picture of a holster that cleaned up real nice.enjoy!

Attachments

• cavdump.jpg
    cavdump.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 3,497
P

pippinwhitepaws

fantastic finds...
and here i thought you were digging up ft carson..lol

RETREAD

Dec 16, 2007
When Bannerman's Surplus store on Broadway was closed in the late '50's there were many sub cellars and basements that were full of similar material. It was bulldozed and covered over. I wonder if this was a similar situation ??

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
plehbah said:
How interesting. Did old Sanborns reveal anything on the site that would account for the surplus dump?

You are very out of control lately.

Tot-lots are full of treasures. Try them.

:D :D :D !

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550
You did a great job on cleaning that up coloradocav,
Congrats on a very nice accidental find :thumbsup:

fortbball9

OP
OP
C

coloradocav

plehbah said:
How interesting. Did old Sanborns reveal anything on the site that would account for the surplus dump?

You are very out of control lately.

Tot-lots are full of treasures. Try them.
the only reason I go to tot lots is to take my tot to the playground, I've got better items to dig than lincoln cents.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now this is what dreams are made of.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread