OP
OP
John (Ma)

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
I guess you can count the Ace out as far as relics go, no replies. I hear it's good for coins and jewlery anyway. I have been considering this model or a Prizm for a Christmas gift.

R

robert roy

I agree. You probably arn't going to have much success with relic mode on ACE 250.

I would look at WHites M6 the little brother of the MXT and less expensive. Check the Ebay site you can get for MUCH less.

Rob

OP
OP
John (Ma)

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Thanks Robert, I do like the M6, I was just trying to hold the price down a little and hear that the ace 250 is great for coins, so I was curious on relics. Thanks again for replying.

scuffler

Jul 23, 2007
The ace 250 should do great for relics, as they are deeper, and if it does coins it will do even better on larger items. Now I know it wont go as deep as a true high end MD but it will do good.

Waco Kid

Apr 21, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I've never gone out specificially looking for relics - I'm more interested in coins - but my Ace comes up with all sorts of things, ferrous and non-ferrous. I don't know any reason why it wouldn't work for relic hunting.

R

robert roy

If your really interested in Relics then get the Whites M6 or an old MXT on ebay.
The Whites display unit show you with reasonable accuracy what you are getting, in the relic mode. With the ACE 250 you don't really know. If the display on Whites reads "button," then its probably a button. If it reads "buckle," its probably right on, but its off sometimes. Its up to you if you want to dig or not. Lots of stuff in the ground.
Robert Roy

Foose

Apr 12, 2007
Fayetteville, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350 & Garrett Ace 250
I have had no problems looking for relics at my old man's farm. Lots of old farming tools, slave chains, etc. Some were fairly deep (10-12"). I didn't necessarily have it in relic mode. I hunted in all metal mode as to not miss any coins. But I have been happy with it's performance there.

OP
OP
John (Ma)

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Thanks again for everyones input. This maybe a detector I pick up for back up or even give it to the little woman for a Christmas gift.

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other
i have an ace 150 is it the same machine as the250 without the pinpoint

scuffler

Jul 23, 2007
To the last poster, if the ace 150 is the same machine as 250 without the pin point, why do metal detector dealers advertise it as a 6inch machine and the 250 as a 8inch machine?
Even the depth display indicates that the 250 goes deeper!

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Well, we have the Ace 150 for my boys and I have the Ace 250...and I found they both work just fine. Found a spoon, pretty old...approx 12 inches down (well, it was 11 inches, nearly 12), no chit sherlock!!! In the side of my yard....lots of patina on it...but the end of the spoon was missing :(

And I know how deep it was, cause it was a big, deep hole and I took a measuring tape to it!!! Thank goodness it was my yard! LOL

Hubby has the minelab exp II...which was mine as a birthday/mother's day gift...but it's too heavy and bulky for me and I don't like the sounds it makes...so I gave it back and I wanted the ace 250...I'm happy with it...it's just a hobby for me....if I get lucky to find something...that will just make my day brighter!!!

Happy Hunting,
Annmarie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread