Ace 250 @ the beach - Day 2

Larry-in-VT

Greenie
May 30, 2005
Recap: I'm here in Corolla NC, the Outer Banks, with my trusty ACE 250. I had anticipated, researching previous posts, that I wouldn't be able to detect in the wet beach sand without false signals. The first day I found, to my suprise and delight, that I WAS able to search right up to the surf line without any falsing - as long as I kept the coil from touching down. I only spent 30 minutes or so but did find a couple large fishing weights, some rusty nails and two badly corroded nails.

Day 2: Today I found that I could make the Ace false if my swing was not parallel to the beach - in other words, if I made my swing in an arc I would get a false signal (in the nickel range) at the bottom of the swing. I did some serching in shallow water pools and would get false signals if the coil touched the water.

My treasure for the day was a handful of rusty nails, an unknown metal, some beach chair parts, and two pennies.

OK - so where's the rings, gold dubloons! I promised the wife I'd find enough loot to cover the cost of the trip.

Upvote 0
LIV,

sounds like your working hard down at the
beach.

Keep at it, the finds will come.

have a good un.............

One thing which is obvious is when using the Treasure Ace at waters edge it loses a lot of its depth capabilities.This is due to the machine having to compensate for the wet salty conditions. When swinging the coil it is important to use slow even sweeps and keep sensitivity at a maximum setting allowable where false signals are minimised. When detecting at the beach dont detect walking parallel to the waters edge.What happens is when you are swinging your coil one side of your swing is in less moisture and as you swing towards the water it is wetter obviously, but this affects the machines operation having compensate and change constantly for the different moisture content. You are far better off walking towards and away from the water gradually working your way along the beach.This gives the machine a more even moisture content allowing it to ground balance itself more easily as you swing and you will find the machine is more sensitive and less likely to miss a target.
While the Treasure Ace is not in the same league as a lot of the top brand beach detectors it is still good value for money and is a good stepping stone for a person new to detecting. Seeya Neilo

Neilo is right and has a lot of experience hunting beaches. Many new comers to the hobby either get a detector that is to "cheap" to find a quarter under a newspaper or one with to many bells and whistles to learn easily so it gets set in the closet never to be used again. Your Ace is fine for the detecting your doing and you just have to put your coil over the goodie. Good Luck will come......

Sandman

good luck with your hunting, as for finding treasure i find the excitement of the hunt is what i like. i don't know if your wife will appreciate that thinking :)

Ahhhhhhh!!! Thanks for the tip, Neilo! I was hunting as you described - parallel to the water. I realize the Ace isn't a top rated machine for this type of detecting however, I'm tickled pink that I'm finding stuff with it anyways.

Thanks again,
Larry-in-VT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back