will do :thumbsup:

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Wow, sounds too good to be true.

Keep it bagged up to protect against dirt, and if it doesn't give a 50% depth increase over the stock coil in YOUR ground conditions I would send it back.

I hope it's as good as they claim though because that's going to open up a whole new world to budgeted detectorists.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, keep us posted. 14" ... that would kick the 1000 buck machines..

oz_il

Oct 6, 2008
Evergreen Park, IL
Good with with kellyco. I just don't trust them too much. Call it a "feeling"

BTW ->EQ2 Pro Seach Coil

I guess they should spell check their site now and then :tongue3:

OP
OP
R

rdb7

Apr 15, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace250 w/ eXcelerator 10x14 DD coil
well i'm hoping to get this on friday .. but will most likely come on monday

i will 'air test' it vs my stock coil and post results fwiw

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
As Fiend and Joe have demonstrated, this low-end machine is nothing to scoff at with the smaller upgrade. The one you're getting may be the turbocharger. Good luck and go get 'em!

OP
OP
R

rdb7

Apr 15, 2008
Detector(s) used
i always wondered 'what' exactly made a minelab go deeper than an ace for example

is it mere circuitry? overall design? coil? coil size??

probably a combination of all i assume

either way i needed to buy a bigger coil for her... hopefully this one will even outdo the 9x12

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
rdb7 said:
i always wondered 'what' exactly made a minelab go deeper than an ace for example

is it mere circuitry? overall design? coil? coil size??

probably a combination of all i assume

either way i needed to buy a bigger coil for her... hopefully this one will even outdo the 9x12
The minelab does not necessarily go deeper, it just has heightened RX circuitry to see and id the deeper targets that other machines do not. The coil however does make it special. The DD configuration helps pick out targets from amongst the total field under the coil better. The open concentrically wound coil is still the deepest and will continue to be, but it's ability to send single-target info back to the id cicruitry handicaps it against the DD coil.

With the rx circuitryit has, it really does not need to use the "BBS" or "FBS" technology that the marketinig gimmick hawkers spew. Since it still only uses one fundamental freq, then takes agvantage of the harmonic freqs from that, a quick study will tell you those harmonic freqs suffer from a progressive drop of one-half in amplitude.

By the time you get to the second harmonic it's one fourth the strength of the fundamental, the 3rd is one-eighth, etc..

Fisher did this first in the early 90's with the CZ series. Realizing the math, they knew there was little point in marketing the machine beyond the first harmonic. As well little point in using signals beyond the second or third harmonic. Minelab just decided to use it as marketing hype. Reality is every machine puts out a theoretically unending number of harmonics, but consider the 28th harmonic, and it's actual signal strength, let alone the RSSI necessary to tell the machine it's available. You'd need the Arecibo dish for the rx side of the coil.

OP
OP
R

rdb7

Apr 15, 2008
Detector(s) used
lowbatts, thanks for the explanation... it's obvious you REALLY understand MD's and what's going on within them

i'll try to wrap my head around all this

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
R

rdb7

Apr 15, 2008
Detector(s) used
what is a "DD" coil? a certain type or is DD the manufacturer?

tia!

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Briefly, most detectors coils have either a concentric configuration or a "DD" configuration. You'll have to do Google searches for pictures of both. Personally, I like and use my DD coils more than my concentric coils. If you have highly mineralized soil, a DD coil will probably serve you best. Some say that you don't get the depth with a DD coil. I don't find that to be the case. I think it's more related to all of the other factors like sensitivity setting, ground conditions and skill level. Even so, we're not talking major depth differences, anyway. I can pinpoint easier with a DD coil.

You'll have to decide which coil configuration you like best, but since the ACE comes with a concentric coil, I'd get the DD coil for a little more versatility.

Here's a basic article that might help you understand the different types of coils.

http://www.treasurefinders.net/types_of_coils.html

OP
OP
R

rdb7

Apr 15, 2008
Detector(s) used
Thanks!!!

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
There's no doubt the coil can and might pick up targets at 14 inches, but I doubt it would pick up coin-sized targets at that depth. Maybe a horseshow. Keep in mind, that a lot of coins aren't that deep...and the ones that are, are probably going to require better circuitry that the Ace provides. I wonder, if the Ace COULD pick up a coin at 14 inches, what it would sound like (repeatable? Probably not).

The Ace 250 is awesome, you won't regret your purchase.

Joe

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
twistidd said:
There's no doubt the coil can and might pick up targets at 14 inches, but I doubt it would pick up coin-sized targets at that depth. Maybe a horseshow. Keep in mind, that a lot of coins aren't that deep...and the ones that are, are probably going to require better circuitry that the Ace provides. I wonder, if the Ace COULD pick up a coin at 14 inches, what it would sound like (repeatable? Probably not).

The Ace 250 is awesome, you won't regret your purchase.

Joe
Just to buttress what Joe said, I decided to bury several of these in Cook County FP's at 14 to 15 inches and will wait for word of their retrieval to find out what kind of machine was used and if the id was right on or not.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/235341/worlds_biggest_coin_hits_market.html

OP
OP
R

rdb7

Apr 15, 2008
Detector(s) used
well on that note i just put in my 2 weeks notice and am off to search CCFP on a fulltime basis :tongue3:

Kellyco

Oct 10, 2007
Winter Springs, Florida
Detector(s) used
Everything in Kellyco's Showroom!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oz_il said:
Good with with kellyco. I just don't trust them too much. Call it a "feeling"

BTW ->EQ2 Pro Seach Coil

I guess they should spell check their site now and then :tongue3:

Thanks for the heads up on the missing letter!! We actually have over 1100 hand-coded HTML pages so it gets a little difficult to catch spelling errors, but I do try my best! With help from you guys I should be able to catch most of 'em!

Let me know if you ever want to give us a chance to change your feelings - I'm here to help!

- Ali

OP
OP
R

rdb7

Apr 15, 2008
Detector(s) used
nothing but good things to say about KellyCo so far :thumbsup:

1100 hand coded html pages?!?? good lord lol... hand-coding (albeit slower) is an art form and skill.. most of the fresh out of school designers/coders are lost without gui tools and editors

i still code all my JAVA/JSP/Perl/plsql from within TextPad :icon_study:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread