Acid testing.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a piece it's not part I think it was broken off of the necklace I scratched it with the file and also put the acid right on the piece. If there's no coloration or no change of color and it didn't turn green it's real?

image-200868606.jpg

Or do I need to file the snot outta it?

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't file the snit out of it! Lol. It's a very pretty piece. What's it marked? Looks real...

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Are you using a file or the streak plate for filing? If it's not marked you probably should file a little groove to make sure it's not plated or filled. Check the ring that's connected to the ring on the charm; if that ring is soldered closed and not simply bent closed your chances of it being real gold go up. Anyone working with real gold wouldn't trust a piece of bent metal - they'd want a solid ring.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you using a file or the streak plate for filing? If it's not marked you probably should file a little groove to make sure it's not plated or filled. Check the ring that's connected to the ring on the charm; if that ring is soldered closed and not simply bent closed your chances of it being real gold go up. Anyone working with real gold wouldn't trust a piece of bent metal - they'd want a solid ring.

Thanks, the ring is gold, it's soldered nice and smooth.

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6

Batcap, that is a good reminder. It has been mentioned before, but it is good to reiterate it and make sure newbies see it, maybe for the first time. Good post!

T.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Thanks for the kind words! Just to reiterate; a soldered ring does not mean precious metal, only good craftsmanship worth further inspection.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread