What's new

Acorn Thingy

BuffaloBill

Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2010
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southbury CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Can anyone identify this Acorn looking thingy? It was found in an old farm field dating back to at least mid 1800's. The stem part looks like it broke off something as it is hollow and kinda jagged. Appears to be made of copper. Any thoughts?
 

Attachments

  • acorn1.webp
    acorn1.webp
    13.3 KB · Views: 276
  • acorn2.webp
    acorn2.webp
    21.9 KB · Views: 270
  • acorn3.webp
    acorn3.webp
    14.6 KB · Views: 270
A pendant?

The_Grove_Acorn.jpg


DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Either a little charm OR what appears to maybe have been a small dreidel or a top. Did you try spinning it? Give it a whirl and see what happens. Maybe it was a toy for kids of some sort. The stem looks like the perfect size for grasping with ones fingers. And the point on the end looks like the point on a top or dreidel. Interesting. Nice find :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
had to look.

No spikes sticking out the top so :dontknow:
not a weapon

Could it be a Lid to a small Jar ?

top piece looks like a small Handle
 
Upvote 0
I vote lamp pull chain piece too.

Al
 
Upvote 0
deepskyal said:
I vote lamp pull chain piece too.

Al

I missed QUICKSILVER 's Post :(

Yep I Agree it's possable.

Large though. Hubbell Made Acorn Chain pulls

acorn33.webp
 
Upvote 0
njnydigger said:
Either a little charm OR what appears to maybe have been a small dreidel or a top. Did you try spinning it? Give it a whirl and see what happens. Maybe it was a toy for kids of some sort. The stem looks like the perfect size for grasping with ones fingers. And the point on the end looks like the point on a top or dreidel. Interesting. Nice find :thumbsup:
Tried giving it a spin and it doesn't spin very well so I don't believe it would work too well as a top.
DCMatt said:
A pendant?
DCMatt
Possibly
QUICKSILVER (appletree) said:
Could it be the end of a lamp pull chain????
jeff of pa said:
deepskyal said:
I vote lamp pull chain piece too.

Al
I missed QUICKSILVER 's Post :(
Yep I Agree it's possable.
Large though. Hubbell Made Acorn Chain pulls
It does look a lot like a chain pull. Doing a search on them revealed that it appears it was a fairly common motif for a chain pull in the early 1900's. I just couldn't find any with such an ornate design on them or with a solid stem coming out of it. That's probably what it is though. Thanks for looking and all the suggestions.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom