Adding air?

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
I have an older Keene 3 inch w/crash box. It has a p180 pump and a 5 hp b and s. I've been going this season until yesterday when the motor seized. So I have 3 questions, first to add an compressor do I need a different output shaft or motor setup? Second, does anyone have a recommendation on a place to buy for a good price. Third, can you drive both the compressor and the pump off the same motor? I currently run the motor at around 1/3 throttle.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
yes you can run it all off that eng/pump. Keene has the parts you need. i did the same thing 10 years ago and happy i did. you will need to speed up that engine with the compressor so youll get enough air!just get that engine running or replaced.that shaft is the correct one.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
#1 rule of dredging is -NEVER USE MULTI VISCOSITY OIL AS IT EATS ENGINES FROM THE HEAT-30 weight or synthetics only for briggs unless under 40 degrees--John

OP
OP
mxer47

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
Thanks for the tip on oil. I never changed the oil after i bought it as I have only used it for around 60 hours after I bought it. Checked it a couple of times, no leaks no smoke. Just locked up during use. I'm surprised no one has long blocks available for the old b&s 5 hp motors. I guess we are living in a disposable world.

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
???:BangHead: umm...no wonder it seized. Never change the oil in your car and tell me how that works out for you! Seriously a qt of oil is like $4-5...and engine is what $150+ and you only use 1/2qt per oil change so if I do the math, $2.50 is much lower then $150+...

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A B&S? Put oil in the damn thing and start it up.

I seized one good mowing the lawn. Interestingly the oil was empty after having been at a shop. Let it cool off, filled the oil and finished the yard. Been using it ever since.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should be checking the oil level every time you get ready to start it, as well as changing the oil every 24 hours of running. It's not a car with a pump and a filter, once it starts to get fouled it's useless.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread