✅ SOLVED Additional details on this button?

Jan 22, 2021
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_2613.jpg IMG_2614.jpg

Thanks for any help you can give me. I dug this button from a local midwestern stream today. The inscription says "Superior Quality Warranted". I realize buttons with this inscription have been posted on here before, but what I need to know is if this button is complete or if it is missing something off of the front? Many military buttons have a dome shaped front, which is why I'm wondering if this button should be two pieces? I believe it is made of brass, but not certain.
Thanks again for any help you can give me.

Mitch

Last edited:

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The answer to your question is Yes... your find is definitely two parts of a 3-piece brass button. Somehow, the domed "face" of your button got detached from the back and the "applied rim" which held the domed face in place. BTW, the "Warranted Superior Quality" backmark, written in raised rather than indented lettering, suggests is was made in Britain, sometime between about 1835 and 1855. I suspect it was most likely a military uniform button... because the great majority of Civilian-usage brass buttons were either 1-piece or 2-piece construction. There's also some chance it was a Fraternal Organization button, which though technically is Civilian, some fraternities did have a uniform... such as, the Knights Of Pythias.

Attachments

• button_fraternal_Knights-of-Pythias_Cally-Lily.jpg
    button_fraternal_Knights-of-Pythias_Cally-Lily.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
W
Jan 22, 2021
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I’m partly disappointed, but for me, it is still an awesome find. And, it makes me want to go back and look for the rest of the button!
Sure appreciate your help.
Mitch

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread