What's new

adena? waubesa? NOT a contracting stem..

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2009
Messages
2,356
Reaction score
405
Golden Thread
0
laban's blade.webp

It's about 6 inches long, beveled on right sides, found in northeast okla, not by me dang it! thin, but not super thin

thanks!
 
Upvote 0
I'd say neither Adena or Waubesa and more than likely an Archaic type of some kind. Hopefully Neandethal will see it and let us know. He knows his types really well, especially from that area.
 
Thanks steve, I'm hoping matt sees it too. So , maybe a Gary, or Dickson? I think they are older. The dirt hadn't been washed off when I saw it, I'd like to get better pictures,
 
Very Nice looking point! :icon_thumleft: Not absolute, but looks similar to a Wells Point?
 
Carrollton maybe? I don't know, Lisa....Its a beauty! I hope Matt sees it too and can tell us. I don't have anything shaped quite like it except for a metal trade point...that's what I thought it was when you first showed me the picture and I read your description.
 
Thanks old digger, well sounds a little cruder made? and the carrolltons were shorter Charmin? I have no idea, just wwhat I'm reading ;) all texas types too. IF it's an atlatl point, isn't it too long? Lange is found in the Fourche maline culture, which at least comes into southeast Oklahoma. But like Grim said, maybe archaic culture which might be calf creek related, is it's size an indicator of age?
 
I doubt it was a Point at all. It is more than likely a Knife form.
 
Right grim, so the best way to give it a name would be to identify the culture it is associated with? got it! :) I don't think the finder really cares, it's just a really nice rock!!! lol!
 
Wow! You weren't kidding about only posting pieces that deserve posting! Sorry I can't help you on it's identity. However, I had to let you know that I have been in this thread about three times to view it.
 
Right grim, so the best way to give it a name would be to identify the culture it is associated with? got it! :) I don't think the finder really cares, it's just a really nice rock!!! lol!

Maybe the finder will give to ya if they feel it is a rock. Find something they like and trade.
 
How come I get the urge to smack Robert Overstreet with one of his guides every time I hear Adena & Waubesa mentioned in the same sentence? HA!!! Adena, Carrolton, nor Wells occur in Oklahoma.

How heavy is the bevel, similar to a Harahey? Is there any grinding on the base?
 
! I'm sure most of my posts make you want to smack him! I DO consider the bell and perino books as the correct information, and then I give up and just admire the artifact. If by heavy bevel you mean sharply angled, I didn't think so, and I didn't think to check the base for grinding. I get another chance to look at it soon, I was wondering about that too
 
Could you show a view of it from the tip?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom