Hogtown Hunter

Jan 30, 2020
Florida
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Nox 600 does not like powerlines. I've ran into issues at a few spots with multiple powerlines/transformers. Detector goes a little haywire and chirps, berps and grunts even off the ground. I use the auto noise cancel, manual ground balance and run my sensitivity around 21-22. If I turn sensitivity down to about 16 it does quiet it down. Enough to search but the constant chatter is annoying. I just read an article about manually adjusting the noise cancel. Does this work? Are there other ways to adjust detector to quiet it down? Thanks

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried cycling through your frequencies to see if one will work better rather than stay on multifreq, sometimes that helps.

OP
OP
Hogtown Hunter

Hogtown Hunter

Jan 30, 2020
Florida
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried cycling through your frequencies to see if one will work better rather than stay on multifreq, sometimes that helps.

Yes. I usually use multi frequency. But I've tried every frequency with not much difference. It does seem to silence it at first but then the grunts start back after a minute or so.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drop your sensitivity more. Even down at 12-14 you will still hit small coins at 8" and most coins and dropped jewelry are not that deep if the soil hasn't been disturbed by landscaping or silting from floods. Many areas by me I cannot go anywhere near 20-21 sensitivity unless I am in the woods or fields.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hogtown Hunter

Hogtown Hunter

Jan 30, 2020
Florida
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok. Thanks. One thing I didn't consider is it was damp out and a light drizzle. I imagine that could increase electrical Interference? Just wondering if some areas are so bad the machine can only do so much?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the one thread here, one guy wrapped his unit in aluminum foil and said it helped a lot. I kid you not. The thread is fairly recent.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I started using the Eqinonx I ran in to same issues. When reducing sensitivity to the teens, all
Was good. Still hit deeper targets than I expected. And yes, misting rain seemed to be a contributing issue.

OP
OP
Hogtown Hunter

Hogtown Hunter

Jan 30, 2020
Florida
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate the input. I'll do an air test with sensitivity in the 12-14 range and see what kind of depth I get. Never ran that low. I found a cleared lot that had four old homes probably very early 1900s. Seems like it should hold some silver. Even with the chattering I found about a dozen coins. Mostly 60s and 70s coins but no silver. I'll be back this week and hope to have something worth posting about.

OP
OP
Hogtown Hunter

Hogtown Hunter

Jan 30, 2020
Florida
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate the input. I'll do an air test with sensitivity in the 12-14 range and see what kind of depth I get. Never ran that low. I found a cleared lot that had four old homes probably early 1900s. Seems like it should hold some silver. Even with the chattering I found about a dozen coins. Mostly 60s and 70s coins but no silver. I'll be back this week and hope to have something worth posting about.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is true in my soil that running as low as 13-14 in Multi would still find dimes at 7-8” deep pretty easily. Lots of people are afraid to go any lower than as high as they can get away with and still understand the audio. You don’t have to twist the piss out of the GO knob to get decent performance. Pretty much true for any Minelab I’ve used...but YMMV.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread