Advice for a Potential Newbie on the Cape Please?

fencer

Dec 25, 2005
Hi!

I am not a treasure hunter or even a metal detector type person . . . yet. I am hoping to get some advise here from those of you who are experienced, so here goes.

I am a husband and father of two (boy 11 girl 9) who became disabled and now lives in a powered chair. The chair I use is a Jazzy 1122, so we are talking hefty piece of machine, not the lightweight ones you see advertised on TV at night. I have a lot of hobbies but few of them let me do things with the kids - other than scouts which I am an active volunteer in.

I saw someone on the beach the other day using a metal detector and I thought - hey, I bet the kids would like to do that with me!

But then I started wondering, well, I need the chair to move around, and the chair is made of metal. If I had a metal detector, would I actually be able to use it considering that I am riding around on 300 pounds of metal?

Another question that I have is, I spent a good bit of time looking at detectors on the web and it seems that there are basically two sorts - old ones with a few knobs and buttons that make noise, and newer ones with gee-whiz computers in them that tell you what you found before you get out of the car and find it.

The newer ones are very expensive, the older ones not so expensive but the question is could I work with an older one? I am on a fixed income and cheaper would be better. It doesn't have to find gold bars or anything just things that the kids would find interesting or fun... The idea here is to have something that I can do on a Sunday afternoon with my kids.

Any help and advise you can give would be great. If anyone knows of a store that sells used and or older detectors in the Cape Cod area that would be very cool. I know I can get one on EBay but I worry that since I am likely going to get an older one I will end up with one that does not work..

Thanks again

CP

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fencer said:
Hi!

I am not a treasure hunter or even a metal detector type person . . . yet. I am hoping to get some advise here from those of you who are experienced, so here goes.

I am a husband and father of two (boy 11 girl 9) who became disabled and now lives in a powered chair. The chair I use is a Jazzy 1122, so we are talking hefty piece of machine, not the lightweight ones you see advertised on TV at night. I have a lot of hobbies but few of them let me do things with the kids - other than scouts which I am an active volunteer in.

I saw someone on the beach the other day using a metal detector and I thought - hey, I bet the kids would like to do that with me!

But then I started wondering, well, I need the chair to move around, and the chair is made of metal. If I had a metal detector, would I actually be able to use it considering that I am riding around on 300 pounds of metal?

Another question that I have is, I spent a good bit of time looking at detectors on the web and it seems that there are basically two sorts - old ones with a few knobs and buttons that make noise, and newer ones with gee-whiz computers in them that tell you what you found before you get out of the car and find it.

The newer ones are very expensive, the older ones not so expensive but the question is could I work with an older one? I am on a fixed income and cheaper would be better. It doesn't have to find gold bars or anything just things that the kids would find interesting or fun... The idea here is to have something that I can do on a Sunday afternoon with my kids.

Any help and advise you can give would be great. If anyone knows of a store that sells used and or older detectors in the Cape Cod area that would be very cool. I know I can get one on EBay but I worry that since I am likely going to get an older one I will end up with one that does not work..

Thanks again

CP

Hi - I really admire your desire to do things together with your children - that in itself speaks volumes about your character!!!

That said, I have a feeling metal detecting just isn't something you would find a great deal of enjoyment doing. As you said, the metal from the wheelchair would likely make it almost impossible for you to use. I think you would have a very difficult time finding areas to hunt in as well that would stand up to the weight of your chair and allow you to move around well, but be relatively easy to dig in.

I feel badly discouraging you from taking up detecting because you obviously have a strong spirit, I just think you might find it discouraging :(

The best advice I could give you would be to see if perhaps you can rent or borrow a detector from someone and try it first.

Best wishes

Thor!

Aug 30, 2005
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
1280X & Sovereign
Hey Fencer! Don't worry about the chair I'll bet you can make work even if you have to hang back a few feet your still hanging with the kids. They'll be running back and forth showing you what they found. You can get a bounty hunter at walmart or a better machine at one of the local places (www.surfscanner.com Bill Crabtree in Falmouth). I would suggest having someone "seed" the yard with a few coins and other items to get the kiddies interested (hope they don't read this).

Fozzy

Dec 11, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and Classic III
I'd be willing to bet that if the detectors rod was extended all the way, or even had a small section added and the cord was not wrapped around the rod, that the coil could be far enough away from the chair that you could detect and perhaps the kids could dig. The beach is easy digging. Once you get the hang of pinpointing, you'll have a great time.

If you're OK with the chair on the sand, I say go for it.

Check out this site. http://www.surfscanner.com/ Mr. Bill is in Falmouth. I bet he can help you with a modification. If he can't, please feel free to PM me and I'll help you out.

I think a Bounty Hunter, or a Garrett Ace 250 is the way to go. You can probably find a used one for not too much cash.

Again, please feel free to PM me or post here if I can help you out.

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other
hi if you are near yarmouth try rreenting one from the whites dealer ELEANOR HUBE 1 forrest rd ,old main st South Yarmouth Rd a prizm 11 might be the best dtector for kids to try she is a real nice lady to talk to good luck

ScrewcapRoy

Jun 14, 2007
Weymouth Mass
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Hello Fencer,
I would say GO for It. The others advice is good. Get an extension for the rod to give you some room from the chair, have the kids dig, and have a BLAST!! You will probably get a signal each time your coil nears the wheel chair. I get a steady sound when I near the metal frame of a swing or jungle bars. I detected between three metal legs of a swing set yesterday and found 2 quarters and a dime as the machine (Whites M6) gave off double beeps, the metal of the swing set gives one steady tone. I don't know how well you would get around on the beach since the Cape sand is very soft. However, I am sure that there are tot lot parks and schools in your area that all of us detect and find coins as well as other goodies. Don't let the chair hold you back. It is great to see that you are exceed your handicap with this hobby. God Bless and Happy Hunting.
Roy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread