Estate ruins , Beverly

capt. sparrow

Jan 23, 2007
North Shore Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II
I was wondering if anyone had ever detected around the J.C. Phillips estate in Beverly. I just found out about it and have hiked up there the last 2 days. The estate was built in 1913 and burned down in 1968. It is now a nature preserve, but the house ruins are still there. There are lots of partial structures still standing and the main gates and steps down the hill are still there. You are free to walk around and there are no signs prohibiting metal detecting. The area is so big I wouldn't even know where to start. It would probably be good to get a picture of the house when it was standing so you could tell what was where. Anyway you can kind of make it out on google maps. It's off of route 97 across from Beverly airport almost to the lake. If you pass the airport on your left you will come to a gravel turnoff that is the start of a driveway. There are signs that say parallel parking, park there and walk down the driveway, you will see the gate and the trail map straight ahead. The ruins are at the top of the hill on the middle trail that looks like it stops on the map.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i would check with whoever runs the preserve to see about detecting that one. even though its open to the public, it still is technically private property. we have a similar preserve around here with a ton of great sites on it, but they dont want anyone digging holes. :'(

Fozzy

Dec 11, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and Classic III
Moraine Farm
715 Cabot Street

Former J.C. Phillips estate includes house and farm buildings, Olmsted-designed
landscape. It is now owned by Project Adventure and used for environmental education

http://www.pa.org/

Might be worth asking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread