What's new

Advice for Detecting in the Snow

retire05

Hero Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2015
Messages
636
Reaction score
419
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the weather holds out I plan on going MD in the snow for the first time. Does anyone have any advice? There is only about 4-6 inches of snow and hopefully will be in the 40s. Thanks and have a great weekend.
 
propane blow torch to clear the ground first.
 
Lol! I'm sorry. We have 3-4feet of the white stuff! I lost it there for a minuet!
I'd loan you my fire breathing dragon but he's on vacation in Aruba with Murphy.

Ya you can detect and dig thru the snow. Try the plowed piles for goodies in parking lots.
 
Try wooded areas.
Less snow and easily dug.
GL
Peace ✌
 
Thanks for the feedback. I'm researching a very small town in the 1920s that is no nowhere to be seen. Just woods. I'm hoping to get my first real detecting...if I can narrow it down a little bit:>)
 
My advice, stay home! 4 - 6 inches of snow means you will only get a couple inches of depth and those top 2 inches will likely be frozen.
 
Wait for the Spring thaw! That's all I have.
 
I've been digging all winter... it's out of pure irrational behavior. Even when the sun is shining and the snow is melting, the ground is usually frozen. It's like hacking away at concrete. Just take Aleve and some Whiskey. Have fun-- it will drive you mad!
 
time to learn patience grasshopper..........
 
Don't dig in yellow snow, just saying...
 
It is my opinion that unless you can find some locations with 1 to 2 inches of snow or less, your' metal detector is going to be seriously handicapped. The signal that the coil emits will likely be highly reflected due to the frozen crystals of the snow and the snow will also attenuate the signal, thus giving little penetrating depth through the snow and into the ground.


Frank
 
Thanks for all the advice. I think Jeff G is right, I need to practice a bit more patience and pray the weather turns better. Cheers!!
 
I have taken my snow scoop out before and removed small sections about 8' by 8'. It makes it very easy to grid out an area. If you can find a spot where there were a thick concentration of leaves the ground will be softer. Good luck
 
zZf9l5a.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom