Advice for someone considering buying a metal detector

dcmccall86

Sep 25, 2011
Hi everyone,

My name is Chris.. I am from Mobile, AL, and I believe I am addicted to metal detecting even though I've never touched one. For the last couple years I have lurked here and read about all the finds.. from the mundane to the spectacular. After all this time I think I'm ready to give it a shot.

If my budget was around $200, could I get a metal detector set up that will actually work decently well? I'm worried about spending too little and getting a detector that simply frustrates me out of the hobby. If there are any that fit this bill, what are they? Is it possible to find a detector that could function in shallow saltwater in this price range? I spend a lot of my time on the Gulf of Mexico fishing from either the beach or a pier, so that feature could be quite valuable

Would it be better for me to try and find a used detector either here or elsewhere? I certainly don't mind second hand equipment, provided that it works as it should.

If you guys could find it in your heart to maybe help me get a start in the hobby, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.. I know this is a great community from having read it for so long, and I'd like to become a part of it! :headbang:

doglover

Aug 30, 2011
Since you said you were going to be hunting in and around the gulf, I would get a water detector if I were you. Some good ones that I've heard of are the Fisher CZ 20 and CZ 21 both are expensive and beyond your 200 dollar range but I used to know a man who detected mostly in the water and he wouldn't part with his CZ 20. Tesoro makes one called the Tiger Shark and another called the Sand Shark. The Tiger Shark is more effective in fresh water while the Sand Shark is a pulse inductor machine which is more effective in salt water from what I have heard and read although I have never used one myself. Just about all the major detector manufacturers make a water machine. Whites, Garrett, Minelab, Fisher, and Tesoro. I would check them all out. If however you're going to stay in the dry sand, Garrett makes a machine called the Ace 250 that would fit into your budget and would be great for someone whos just starting out because it is simple and easy to use. A new one will run you about $212 if I remember correctly. Also take a look at the Fisher F5 as I have heard some good things about it. I myself use a Garrett AT Pro which I really like. It is more for freshwater hunting but I've heard it will also work in saltwater. Read the posts on here about which detectors people use in the salt water and which ones they like. As you know, there is a lot of information on this site. Whenever you do start detecting just remember that whatever machine you get, give the machine a chance by learning how to use it and listen and see what its telling you. If you want to find gold jewelry you must remember that gold will register all the way from foil up to a zinc penny on your target id. So if you discriminate out everything but coins, you will also discriminate out much if not all the gold. Many people will not dig foil, pulltabs, or zinc pennies which is good because it leaves more gold in the ground for me and others who do. I once found a mans 18 kt. ring that read like a zinc penny and if I had ignored it, it would probably still be in the ground. I've also found small womens or girls gold rings that read like foil. Good luck with whatever machine you decide to get. :icon_thumright:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello from White Plains, New York! There is a lot to learn Chris, and the most important thing is having fun and finding treasure while you learn! There is a great group of folks here on T-Net with a deep pool of collective knowledge. Let's get started!

Yes, you are "addicted." This is a disease that has no known cure.

Yes, there are several excellent detectors available within your budget:
Garrett 'Ace' detectors
Tesoro Compadre detector
Fisher F2 detector

No, none of these machines will be as effective in saltwater or on wet saltwater sand. The reason for this is conductivity. The saltwater is full of salt and iron (mineralization), which conducts the very low frequency (VLF) radio waves the above machines constantly send out. This decreases their stability and depth tremendously.

For saltwater detecting, you will need at least $700.00 - $1,500.00 (New) to get in the water. Check out my article, “Beach and Water Detecting 101: Getting Started.”, http://www.terrysoloman.com/id18.html for more in-depth stuff on VLF and PI machines.

Lastly, used equipment is just fine in most cases, that is not the problem. The problem is KNOWLEDGE. First timers want to purchase from an expert dealer that is there to answer the questions that start 30-seconds after opening the box! Once you know what YOU are doing, THEN you can buy from discounters and others.

Looking forward to seeing your first finds! Big Gold - Terry

dcmccall86 said:
Hi everyone,

My name is Chris.. I am from Mobile, AL, and I believe I am addicted to metal detecting even though I've never touched one. For the last couple years I have lurked here and read about all the finds.. from the mundane to the spectacular. After all this time I think I'm ready to give it a shot.

If my budget was around $200, could I get a metal detector set up that will actually work decently well? I'm worried about spending too little and getting a detector that simply frustrates me out of the hobby. If there are any that fit this bill, what are they? Is it possible to find a detector that could function in shallow saltwater in this price range? I spend a lot of my time on the Gulf of Mexico fishing from either the beach or a pier, so that feature could be quite valuable

Would it be better for me to try and find a used detector either here or elsewhere? I certainly don't mind second hand equipment, provided that it works as it should.

If you guys could find it in your heart to maybe help me get a start in the hobby, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.. I know this is a great community from having read it for so long, and I'd like to become a part of it! :headbang:

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I would go with the ace 250. it's a turn on and go machine with an excellent track record

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I paid $250 for my Bounty Hunter Land Star brand new off feepay and I absolutely love it.

You will be able to find a machine in your price range as long as you do some research and find a couple of machines to look for. Then just shop for one. Check eBay, craigslist and TNet classified section.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whatever you buy.... at the low-end price.... remember, you are getting a low-end machine. Give it a chance! Low end does NOT mean low rewards! Your returns will be comensurate with the amount of time on the machine. If it seems to be picking up more trash than you think is your share.... give it time! As you start getting real goodies, try to repeat the parameters involved and you will get.... more goodies. And thats called "time on the machine!" Good luck. TTC

OP
OP
D

dcmccall86

Sep 25, 2011
Wow, thanks for the quick replies, everyone!

I've been offered a seemingly pretty good deal on a used Minelab X Terra 305 in like new condition. Any ideas what a fair price for this machine is? With some effort on my part put in, would it be a solid detector?

Thanks again for your replies.. I know I will be posting my finds here when I finally get me a metal detector! Even if it is just clad for the first yeaer :laughing7:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Chris, If you feel it's a god deal, go for it. Only YOU have to live with the decision. The GOOD DEAL will come when you pay for the machine with the finds. And you will! TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread