Advice hunting points in central Virginia

vabuckhunter

Mar 14, 2011
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
I am new at arrowhead hunting, I have found a few while metal detecting and fishing but never while I was actually looking for them. All the points I have found have been Quartz, is that all I can expect in my area (Rockingham County) since there is no flint around. I was also wondering if there is such a thing as a river being too big to hunt. I live near the Shenandoah River and its not a huge river but is quite sizeable. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should be in a good area and you should be looking for flint points as well. Natives traded material for making relics from long distances in some cases. If you don't look for flint points, you won't find any. Good Luck!

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had a friend who hunted fields on the Nottoway River a lot. Most of his points were quartz and quartzite. Virginia does have a great deal of quartzite of all colors.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should have quite a bit of material over there by the mountains. Try your gravel bars. They say those little side creeks that run into main rivers are really good places to look too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions