Advice on MD

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking to get a new metal detector but don't want to spend more than $300. I currently have a detector but it was a gift that was purchased from Big 5 so it doesn't work well. Other than that, I'm fairly new to metal detecting so I don't want it too sophisticated.

Also, I would like to meet up with someone more experienced for a couple hunts so they can show me the ropes a bit better. I live in Fullerton but am willing to go where the action is.

Thanks!

dpdelcollo

Tenderfoot
Dec 7, 2010
Antelope CA (Sacramento)
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace350
You will likely get a lot of opinons. I am a beginner myself so take my advice with a grain of salt. for $300 you can get a Garrett Ace350 which is what I got. It is easy to use, works well, and comes with headphones, a digger and a pouch. If you spend less on the machine itself it means you have money to spend on other things as well. I found I was digging blank holes until I got a pinpointer. I got a Garrett Pro pinpointer, but if you just want to try a cheap one to see if it works for you, Harbor freight has a cheap unit for $17

I found good advice here: http://www.bigvalleymetaldetectors.com/best.htm but I am sure this could quickly turn into a heated discussion.

Hunt4Fun

Feb 1, 2005
Hi Customx_12,

I suggest you check out the Riverside Treasure Hunters club. Their web link is:http://www.riversidetreasurehunters.com/home/

It appears to be a very active club. The members should be able to help you with advice about equipment purchases, hunting techniques and hunting locations. Evidently they also have regular club sponsored hunts.

Good Luck.
Bob

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quick update: I bought a Tesoro Silver as I'm not a huge fan of the bells and whistles of other detectors. The reviews have shown that this has a much better depth than others in the price range. I have found coins up to 11 inches deep so far and can't wait to find my first piece of jewelry to show you guys.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
oil-dripper, this is a very old post (2011). Not likely the OP is still checking back.

There's people from CA on the "kinzli" forum. If you post your location there, I bet there's folks who'll chime in. To get to the main page though, you have to sign up. But it's easy, just pick a name and a password, etc....

Maathai Wangari

Tenderfoot
Mar 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett Ace350 is best for you and its price is under $300. This is easily operate able metal detector which can help on your initial stage to operate it easily. With this detector you can get a pouch, head phone and digger as bonus. Ebay is best to buy it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions