PaJim

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Land Ranger Pro
Whites coinmaster

Garret AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say they can pick or choose any or all they would like. I'm new to the hobby, but nobody has ever taken a thing when I offer to give it all up if they wanted.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frankly, all of it belongs to the owner.

I have hunted places in the past where the owner wanted and kept everything, but that was a while ago when "the thrill of the hunt" was enough for me.

Now I offer to give them a nice Riker display box of finds that represent the history of the property. They get 5 or 6 decent relics to show off. I get the rest.

Upvote 0

Bruce R

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2016
Shamokin, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't accept permission from a renter, I got jammed up that way once. They didn't tell me they weren't the owners. The real owner was P.O.'d but chilled out when I gave him a Caterpillar watch fob that he lost as a kid.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sorry in advance if this is posted in the wrong forum.
Question: If the owner of a prospective propert say yes but ask for a portion of the finds what percentage is usual and customary? What does everyone usually offer? Thanks guys. I'm sorta new to permissions and was asked this twice today! Thanks for any input!
I would ask HIM what he had in mind. If it was acceptable to you, go ahead and hunt after getting it in writing. If not acceptable to you, smile, thank him, and move on to greener pastures. I usually offer to return lost items (that have been identified beforehand) and relics related to the property, but, I can't remember the last time I had to split coins and other relics with a landowner. Once they see how nasty they look straight out of the ground, they usually pass on keeping anything.

Upvote 0

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ask if there are any known lost personal items (jewelry etc) that they would like to claim before I find them, and 50% of any large cache. Typically when you are done you'll get to keep anything they didn't claim up front.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread