Advice on pinpointers, Please

Hoggtyed

Sep 20, 2005
Central North Carolina
Upvote 0
most pinpointers are the same in depth detection, you mainly dig your main hole to somewhere within registerd depth and then if you dont see it put probe in the hole and go round the sides close as many miss the hole by an inch or so to the side, or need to go down another inch, i use a sherlock, a very good probe, battery 9 volt lasts for a long time, and is accurate this one has a setting nob on top to get maximum out of it this is turned slowly till the metal just unregisters whiles pressing the main button, this is the deepest setting for the probe, leave it at that till next time you go out then just make sure its not been turned by accident and resett,, overall the sherlock is a decent pinpointer,, i have a great pinpointer on my minelab x terra 50,, lcd circle lets you know exactly where it is allways under middle of coil,, but when digging i always use my sherlock,, and in the dug out dirt run it through incase you've pulled it out in the shovel,,. good luck.

I've been metal detecting for a long time. I always thought that pinpointers were a waste of money. I can pinpoint with my detector well enough not to need one. But when I bought my MXT it was a package deal and part of that package was a bullseye II pinpointer. I asked the dealer if he could just drop the price even lower if I didn't get the Bullseye. He said no. So now I have one and I'm glad I do. Don't use it very often but when I do need it I'm glad I have it. And if you're out after the sun sets, or at night, the light the Bullseye has makes searching the hole a lot easier. Also my headphones shut out noise almost completely so the vibrate mode keeps me from having to remove them to hear the pinpointer.
Personally I sure wouldn't pay manufacturers suggested retail price for one. And personally I think you're rolling the dice buying one off of e-bay. But it has helped me find a couple of very small targets that I couldn't locate by eyesight.

Anyone have good luck with the Little Wizard II?? It's only $17.95, shipping included from billsdetectorsales.com.

HH, ya'll!

i have an automax v2 and it is pretty good. my only critisisim is that its too darn big! its not that much of a problem though cause i can clip it to the armcuff of my ace when im detecting.it works really well and i never would have guessed how much easier it is to find targets with a pinpointer than without one.

I've bought 2 now off of ebay, both have been White's Bullseye....they work great, don't know how I ever got along without one. A pinpointer saves me mucho time so I can find more stuff. Happy Hunting. Dan

After looking it over, doing some research, I think the treasure mate has great promise. Since I also do some prospecting. It should allow me to scan small quartz to see if there is gold on them. Since it has a max depth of 3 inches. I should be able to scan softball sized specimens.

Anyone have anyfeed back on the Treasure Mate ?

I personally have a Tinytec Ultraluxe http://tinytec-probes.com/ I got this one directly from the maker for $70. I get about a inch in depth as well

It comes with:

-LED light
-a neat power saving feature
-audio or vibration response
-8" long probe
-2" tip used for wide side scanning
-25 month warranty

Some food for thought,

GL & HH,

DugHoles

Hey, DugHoles, thanks for the info. I ordered a TinyTec Deluxe today. It seemed like just what I've been looking for. ;D

HH, ya'll!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back