advice on sovereign gt

thadious

Jul 13, 2006
Hemet, Ca
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Garret Ace 250, At Pro
I have had the sovereign gt for about 3 weeks now. I am starting to learn the sounds and am getting about 85% accurate on guessing if it is a pull tab or coin. I tend to dig everything anyway. I usually hunt in threshold mode with little or no discrimination and notch set to zero with sensitivity in auto. I have found this works well at the beach but have had no luck at the parks with this setting. Too many targets and have a hard time pinpointing. I have the ten inch stock tornado coil. In the wet sand I have found lots of aluminum pieces, especially the bottom of the cans. I have had several targets i could not find as they were either too deep or walls of hole kept collapsing do to wet sand or waves washing over them. Overall I love the sovereign and have found clad and two religious medals with it. I need suggestion on how to use in parks and what others do in the wet sand to recover their targets. thanks and HH Ted

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some pinpoint off the toe and some off the heel of the coil. Once i get a target i pull my coil back till the target is gone then go forward with the coil till i hit the target and it is right there on the very tip or toe of my coil. I use the toe of the coil.

In the wet sand where the sides of the hole cave in you just either need to dig faster or use a larger scoop. Your setting sound OK, though I would rather hunt with Sensitivity setting near 1 o'clock or as high as I could run it with out it falsing. This is hard to do in the wet sand though due to more black sand there.

Good Luck,
Sandman

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ted,

I hunt the beaches here in Florida a lot with both my Sovereigns. I do it the same way Sandman suggests. I have a 10 inch wide 12 inch long scoop, it is a virtual backhoe, and I can dig deep holes quickly with it.

I try to hunt in auto, but most times the beach sand conditions will not allow it and I have to adjust it down to between the 11 and 3 position depending on the interference. Like Sandman said most times it ends up being close to the 1 oclock position....

You might consider the Sov 180 meter to help you if your having problems in the parks till you become more comfortable. It really speeds up the recovery time...

A good probe (I highly recommend either the detectorpro uniprobe or pocket uniprobe) will help, as will a good metal probe. The Detectorpro is expensive, but it is the berst there is and worth every penny to me. I have owned both, bought both used , I currently have the uniprobe with the headset.
http://www.detectorpro.com/uniprobes.htm

Here is what I use in parks to recover targets the probe really helps,as you get an idea of shape and size by probing it.
ezdigrII.jpg

Good luck and feel free to IM me if I can help..........

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't hunt Beaches But do hunt Parks.

I use 0 Disc & 0 notch
and Auto Sens. (this can be used instead of Manual
because the sovereign has "true auto". it will automatically
adjust up & down to ground conditions as your hunting) if you use Manual you need to re check often to see if you can raise it, or lower it fruther as you move from different ground conditions & it gets erratic.

& a 15" WOT & am very happy with those settings.

of course I like digging Everything.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I left land off, my settings on land on my Sovereigns are the same as Jeff's, I use no discrim, no notch and auto sense and I also use the WOT coils..................

OP
OP
T

thadious

Jul 13, 2006
Hemet, Ca
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Garret Ace 250, At Pro
thanks guys for the tips. I really appreciate it. I think i will get a bigger scoop or get one of those break down shovels for the wet sand. I hope to post some new park finds soon. thanks again for the advice. HH Ted

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread