Advice on spotting silver in clear bank rolls?

bossbear

Aug 26, 2012
Hey everyone ive been coin roll hunting for about a week now. 1 silver half, 2 silver rosies.

I manage a large retail store and whenever Im doing counts on the drawers I check for stuff too and Ive been lucky. I set the good stuff aside and buy it out at the end of the day.

Anyways, we get our change from brinks who brings it in the clear tubes and I can see the edges but cant tell which are silver rims and which are really new coins with shiny rims.

I usually have 200-400 worth of dimes/nicks/quarters each and theyre all in the clear tubes. Id love to have a 100% rate.

Does anyone have photos of clear rolls with silver rims?

Upvote 0

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I doubt you will find any silver in Brinks rolls... I never have other than halves and nickels..

Seener53

Jul 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
eTrac, Excalibur II, ctx3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got to look at the rolls from pretty close up, the plastic makes the roll look milky. You will find more canadians then silvers. Sometimes the silver will be very thin so you got to look carefully.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found one silver dime in a brinks roll.When I got in the car there was no mistake.It is hard to tell sometimes in the light from inside but the sun light will always tell you.
Good luck and HH.
Cooper

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all about proper lighting. I prefer the non-clear rolls because the clear ones are often searched and left intact

SilverJack

Sep 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will definitely find silver dimes in Brinks rolls. I have found hundreds. Usually no more than 1 or 2 in a box. Plenty of skunks but plenty that have 3 or 4 as well. The only way you're not going to find them is if you buy loose rolls from a teller that is searching. Buy full, sealed boxes and the dimes will show. With a bit of experience (finding 10 or so) you'll soon figure out how to spot them. For me, the key is lighting. I search for coin with solid color that way I get the silvers that are tarnished as well, not just the bright and shiny ones. Good luck!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't give any good advice, as every clear wrapped dime roll that I get holds at least 1-5 silver-edged Canadians.

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I been doing for a 2 months and I don't feel comfortable rim checking yet. I still date check everything but I'm getting there.

OP
OP
bossbear

bossbear

Aug 26, 2012
Thanks for the tips guys. I have about 300 bucks in clear rolls sitting in my safe and figured if i could spot a couple I would just buy the whole roll

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I think to be on the safe side, I would edge check and then open up the rolls go through them by date (or at least by edge again) because it is quite easy to miss a dirty silver within the plastic rolls.

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
Under decent lighting I just move rolls around in my hand and just look them over good. Have found plenty of silvers but I def think on avg it would be less than one per box

Gilmore Happy

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing no one mentioned is your silver dimes will "clank" compared to clad dimes. I always verify all my searches my giving them one last "clank test" before bagging them back up. I've only missed 2 dimes in the $100,000's I have searched and I caught them by using this method...and one was a blackened merc. Not all silver is silver...they can be black too. Good luck

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions