ADVISE REQUIRED IN THE UK

gaz1211

Jul 4, 2023
intro first. hi there my names gaz i am from the uk and looking for help and advice from you more experienced lot.

first and foremost my apologies im not a treasure hunter and this post is not about trying to find precious metals. i have a problem that i think the equipment you use could help in resolving.
namely the small dredges you use!
so as the story goes we have a local small 2 acre fishing lake thats over 100 years old and is very important to the local community. only problem being is its disappearing under a heavy blanket of silt!

what was once a 8-9ft deep lake now in very few spots reaches depths of 4ft if lucky after some wet weather.
ok so we need to get the silt out!

this is where im hoping you fine lot over the pond as they say could possibly help us.

no.1 problem here there is zero access for any kind of heavy machinery everything has to carry on foot over a foot bridge spanning across busy railway lines.

now from being an avid fan of goldrush/white water and gold divers on tv and seeing the equipment you use these small suction dredges and in my mind these look perfect for what we need to sort out our vanishing pond problem.

so first question as im not after treasure but just the removal of the silt.
rather than running a sluice box can i just run a lenth of pipe out of the power jet to push the silt up and on to the bank and would there be a maximum run of pipe.
thanks for taking the time to read this and for any help you could provide.

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
California banned suction dredging because the silt went back into the river. On gold rush, they have settling ponds to take care of the silt. So that is what you would have to do, build an pond to handle the silt you pump from the lake , then divert the clean water (from a series of ponds) back to the lake you want to save.

I'm far from being an expert, but I think you need and environmental engineer to hepl you out.

OP
OP
G

gaz1211

Jul 4, 2023
California banned suction dredging because the silt went back into the river. On gold rush, they have settling ponds to take care of the silt. So that is what you would have to do, build an pond to handle the silt you pump from the lake , then divert the clean water (from a series of ponds) back to the lake you want to save.

I'm far from being an expert, but I think you need and environmental engineer to hepl you out.
hi we have the environmental bit kind of sorted far less regulation here its the equipment we are struggling with

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
G

gaz1211

Jul 4, 2023
Then you will need a crew and depending on the size of the lake, , a 8 inch or larger dredge. the smaller the dredge the longer it will take.

we have a couple lads and times not a problem it can only be done over the winter months we will only be doing small ares of the pond at a time theres absolutely no rush to have it done as long as theres some progress we are talking over 2 or 3 winters if not more what ever it takes to just chip away at it
it is a case of trying to create as least disturbance as possible while doing the work

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Here in St. Louis Missouri our parks department has the same problem of silt in our lakes. They have a 10 inch dredge that takes care of this problem quickly ! It was stored at a St. Louis County park for years without ANY use at all. And I heard that the parks department was considering to get rid of it ......This was some years back when I was into dredging and thought ,NOW is my time to move up in dredge's and stared to inquire about it's availability for sale.???? BUT they decided to move it to a bigger lake BUT I still haven't seen them or heard of them using it ! I may wander over that way and do some checking on it ! I'm TOOOOO beat up to use it myself BUT maybe "if I could acquire it" I could get up a crew to use it ! OR rehab it for gold and sell it ??? :dontknow:

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in St. Louis Missouri our parks department has the same problem of silt in our lakes. They have a 10 inch dredge that takes care of this problem quickly ! It was stored at a St. Louis County park for years without ANY use at all. And I heard that the parks department was considering to get rid of it ......This was some years back when I was into dredging and thought ,NOW is my time to move up in dredge's and stared to inquire about it's availability for sale.???? BUT they decided to move it to a bigger lake BUT I still haven't seen them or heard of them using it ! I may wander over that way and do some checking on it ! I'm TOOOOO beat up to use it myself BUT maybe "if I could acquire it" I could get up a crew to use it ! OR rehab it for gold and sell it ??? :dontknow:
I bought a used 3 inch a few years ago, I last about an hour, then put it on craigslist.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread