Aerial photos/maps of the "historical" sites in a certain area

newtocoinhunting

Jan 16, 2006
Nebraska, USA
Aerial photos/maps of the "historical" sites in a certain area

I found this link the other day and I thought maybe I should share with others who could use it as well:
http://www.lat-long.com/

On the front page at that site you can enter the following to find the "historical" sites in your county (as per USGS topo maps), that is the old schools, post offices, etc..

To use it, you can enter:

Location Name: historical
State: <Select your state from the dropdown menu>
County: YourCountyName
Feature Type: <Leave the drop-down at "Search All" or select a feature to narrow the list>

The resulting search URL looks like this, you can modify it if you want a shortcut (just replace NE with your state and Hall with your county):
http://www.lat-long.com/Lookup.cfm?...unty=Hall&FeatureType=&Submit=Lat-Long+Search

There are many places to get this same info but this was a useful site for me. For creating complete topo maps of an entire county or state, USAPhotoMaps/TerraFetcher are an unbeatable (free) combination. I personally have the 8m aerials / 64m topos of all states downloaded if anyone is interested in saving some time, I also have the 1m aerials and 4m topos of NE completed but admittedly they might only prove of interest to those local to NE).

Hope that helps.

Daniel in NC

Dec 3, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Re: Aerial photos/maps of the "historical" sites in a certain area

...by the way, this works great with Google Earth all you have to do is put in the lat. and long.

OP
OP
newtocoinhunting

newtocoinhunting

Jan 16, 2006
Nebraska, USA
Re: Aerial photos/maps of the "historical" sites in a certain area

While Google Earth does offer these same landmarks, I have noticed that in my county it served up different historical landmarks at different levels of magnification, I didn't find a level that would display all of the landmarks at one time.? Maybe I was missing something.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread