What's new

After all these years… I finally got my Diploma!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2013
Messages
9,946
Reaction score
19,958
Golden Thread
3
Location
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got a permission at a tiny little church that was founded in 1860. Was told it had never been hunted, so I was pretty excited to say the least.
My first target I managed to carve up an 1897 Indian… awesome.
Next target I was convinced I was gonna pull up a dime, but no! Something better!!!
This crazy little silver popped out…. A diploma charm? Thought it’d be super old, but 42 years old is good enough lol.
I spent about four hours trying like crazy to find something seated, shielded, or more silver… it just wasn’t there.
Was able to get a dateless Buffalo, and a few toasted wheats.
image.webp


image.webp


Thanks for looking! :hello:
 
Upvote 29
BigWave was that for second or 3rd grade ? LOL J/K
 
How do you know it isn't 1883? Are there other samples out there with a positive year I.D?
 
How do you know it isn't 1883? Are there other samples out there with a positive year I.D?
I saw some images online. It is stamped STG JMF
Modern “vintage’
 
I've hunted around old, abandoned church sites and have found fewer coins than you did at each. I came to the conclusion that people going to the church kept pretty close control of their change until it got into the collection plate!
 
That date is one day before I graduated from high school. Cool find!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom