What's new

After Electrolysis Cleaning.... How to preserve Metal?

Retired Fire

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2016
Messages
501
Reaction score
798
Golden Thread
0
Location
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, 5"x8" coils for both. Whites PinPointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I have cleaned some Relics with Electrolysis. Now I need to preserve the metal to prevent rusting. I don't want to use Hot Wax so what else can I do? Spry Clear Coat? Oils? What say you all? Thanks
 
So I have cleaned some Relics with Electrolysis. Now I need to preserve the metal to prevent rusting. I don't want to use Hot Wax so what else can I do? Spry Clear Coat? Oils? What say you all? Thanks

I was told to apply a thin coat of machine oil or motor oil.
 
Thanks Mojjax and Wrightdigger. So a good coat of oil seems to be the way to go.
 
I use WD-40 and when dry, I coat with lacquer. I have done this for years, and it protects the metal from rusting.
 
If your relic was found in salty areas, the ocean, a bay or a field next to one, first soak it in fresh water, changing it out frequently to make sure there is no salt in the iron. One no salt is in it, and I assume yours is salt free to begin with, depending on where you dig in North Carolina, I let it dry for numerous days. Sometimes I put it next to a heat vent to get it going, then dry brush it and coat with clean polyurethane. I have relics I found in the 1970's that are still holding up fine after that much time.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom