after market coil

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is a after market coil really any better then a stock coil that comes with your detector? What ever brand of detector you have the coil is made for that unit. I have used after market coils before and don't see them being any better than the stock coil. At the end of the day with a after market coil do you have more goodies in your bag than using the stock coil?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess I'll have to say "it depends".

Detectors come with coils that allow a generic detecting of all types and conditions in all environments.

But if you want to do a specific type of detecting an after-market coil allows you to refine the use to specific situations and targets.

Like a coin sniper coil or a DD vs. Concentric coil that may not have been stock. And at times a smaller coil may allow you to poke in places (or between junk) that a larger coils would be less suitable in or for.

I REALLY like my NEL Sharpshooter for coin hunting in my area and it stays on the detector.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There you go.

Think of the stock coil on your detector as factory mounted sights on a rifle. Might be all you'll ever need. And they definitely were made to fit that rifle properly.

But then again you might want something different for your specific circumstances.

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may also depend on what machine you use as well as what you use it for. The Coiltec coils for Minelab detectors have a great reputation. Minelab does not make big coils for some of their machines and the 15" WOT coil is very popular for increased coverage in fields and on beaches. I personally like my 8" SunRay coil on my Safari and the WOT too. My Garretts all have stock coils, largely because Garrett makes a lot of optional coils for their machines. I am considering an Equinox when they arrive but one of my main questions is whether Minelab will have different coils available for it. I do not like the average 11" coils that come stock on most machines, I prefer 8" coils for general coin hunting as they provide better separation and have plenty of depth and probably better sensitivity to small targets than the larger coils. Better pinpointing too in some instances. Coils definitely help customize your machine to your specific uses and if the maker of your machine doesn't provide a good selection of coils aftermarket coils will be your only choice.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread