What's new

Age of axe

Derringer

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2016
Messages
29
Reaction score
27
Golden Thread
0
Location
Wilmington, Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This axe head was found about 12 inches down while metal detecting a property that dates back to the mid 1700’s. Anyone have an idea of age on this axe head?? Thanks in advance. F9C6A196-7C4C-49BF-847A-F957AA940E83.webp306E7F23-4EFF-4AA3-939C-FED2802BEA6D.webp306E7F23-4EFF-4AA3-939C-FED2802BEA6D.webp
 
The standard axe charts will be along shortly to help you... unfortunately I am not their keeper.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for the help, looks like it’s probably a European design, still can’t pinpoint an age
 
Upvote 0
Going by the size in your hand I would say it was a hewing hatchet. They were smaller than a broad axe and rarer. It appears to be manufactured rather than "smith made"? I would say mid 1800's?
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom