✅ SOLVED Age of Cavalry Rosette?

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this at the site of an old cavalry stable from the WW1 era and was wondering about its age, since I believe it may predate the camp, which opened in 1910 or so. Its brass with the back filled with lead or solder. You can see (in the two red circles) where there was a bar for attaching to a leather strap, but it came off and was replaced with what I believe is a little square nail. In the other photo, in the red circle, you can see the indentation pressed in there by the head of the square nail on the top of the rosette. I have looked at some other ones with google images and all that, and all I could find were a few lead filled examples from the Civil War. I dont think this is that old, but you never know.

IMG_0198.JPG IMG_0198 - Copy.JPG IMG_0196.JPG IMG_0196 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The form of attachment (a long bent-over very narrow (1/16th-inch) iron square-nail or "spike") on the object's back means it isn't a rosette. It is a "decoration" from drafthorse-harness... or perhaps from a buggy or coach's body. I can't quite be sure from studying the photo, but if it does have a solder-or-lead filler metal in its back to hold the attachment spike, it dates from several decades before the civil war to a decade or so after. The photos below show various versions of horse-harness decorative brass discs, hearts, diamonds, and other shapes.

Attachments

• horsegear_harness-decorations_TN_postedbyCreskol.jpg
    horsegear_harness-decorations_TN_postedbyCreskol.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 67
  • horsegear_reins-guides_nondug_Ebay.jpg
    horsegear_reins-guides_nondug_Ebay.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The form of attachment (a long bent-over very narrow (1/16th-inch) iron square-nail or "spike") on the object's back means it isn't a rosette. It is a "decoration" from drafthorse-harness... or perhaps from a buggy or coach's body. I can't quite be sure from studying the photo, but if it does have a solder-or-lead filler metal in its back to hold the attachment spike, it dates from several decades before the civil war to a decade or so after. The photos below show various versions of horse-harness decorative brass discs, hearts, diamonds, and other shapes.

Thank you. Seeing the off center indentation and what looks like the end of a square nail made me think it was repaired or something. Its good to know for sure.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread