Yak1366

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2017
Ringgold, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett ATPro, ProPointer AT, Retriever II
Primary Interest:
Other
So after the id of the 1860s Knapsack J-hook thread the other day, I went out looking to find more of that hardware if possible.

I found a nice 58Cal 3 groove minie, and a 56Cal round for the 1855 Colt Revolving Rifle, my 1st! Happy as always to dig something I've never found before!! Very good reading on that rifle. I'm glad I never had to fire one.

And one more brass stud associated with the knapsack, which brings me to my 1st question.

Q: Is anyone familiar enough with that version of the 1860's knapsack to tell me how many of these brass studs were on each unit?

I ask this because, the pics on google appear to show two, and now I have three, telling me I might have more than one Knapsack to find.

My second question is about this little brass piece that looks like a rim fire casing...

Having dug my fair share of brass casings here in North Georgia, I can say, it doesn't have the same striking surface, stopping lip, as any rim fire casing I can find, nor does it have a strike mark, and it's clearly not pin or center fire.

It has a reeded band that looks just like that found on a single groove reeded cannelure bullet.

The brass is ~0.028" thick. A typical 9mm center fire ~0.012".

It's probably nothing, but I thought the J-Hook was just horse tack!!

Attachments

• Group-1.jpg
    Group-1.jpg
    942.1 KB · Views: 60
  • Group-2.jpg
    Group-2.jpg
    955.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Brass Side Lighted-1.jpg
    Brass Side Lighted-1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 89
  • Brass Side Lighted-2.jpg
    Brass Side Lighted-2.jpg
    902.4 KB · Views: 62

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yak, you are doing Great. Well Done on the CW artifacts. Stay on top of this area, there just might be an encampment or picket post about. I'm from Covington, Georgia and use the Whites MXT. I see on your avatar that you use the Coinmaster. Keep at it and Continued Success to you. Here's to adding to your CW collection.:icon_thumright:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Yak1366

Yak1366

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2017
Ringgold, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett ATPro, ProPointer AT, Retriever II
Primary Interest:
Other
Yak, you are doing Great. Well Done on the CW artifacts. Stay on top of this area, there just might be an encampment or picket post about. I'm from Covington, Georgia and use the Whites MXT. I see on your avatar that you use the Coinmaster. Keep at it and Continued Success to you. Here's to adding to your CW collection.:icon_thumright:

Thanks neighbor, I try.

Upvote 0

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We find a lot of these down here in Georgia. We find a lot of those old rivets.

Upvote 0

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We find a lot of these down here in Georgia. We find a lot of those old rivets.

Yep .
Anything Made of Brass / Copper is a welcome find these days.

Upvote 0

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So after the id of the 1860s Knapsack J-hook thread the other day, I went out looking to find more of that hardware if possible.

I found a nice 58Cal 3 groove minie, and a 56Cal round for the 1855 Colt Revolving Rifle, my 1st! Happy as always to dig something I've never found before!! Very good reading on that rifle. I'm glad I never had to fire one.

And one more brass stud associated with the knapsack, which brings me to my 1st question.

Q: Is anyone familiar enough with that version of the 1860's knapsack to tell me how many of these brass studs were on each unit?

I ask this because, the pics on google appear to show two, and now I have three, telling me I might have more than one Knapsack to find.

My second question is about this little brass piece that looks like a rim fire casing...

Having dug my fair share of brass casings here in North Georgia, I can say, it doesn't have the same striking surface, stopping lip, as any rim fire casing I can find, nor does it have a strike mark, and it's clearly not pin or center fire.

It has a reeded band that looks just like that found on a single groove reeded cannelure bullet.

The brass is ~0.028" thick. A typical 9mm center fire ~0.012".

It's probably nothing, but I thought the J-Hook was just horse tack!!

Nice finds once again , I have never dug a dropped 56 Colt ; maybe a fired but still don't think so.

As for the Casing , I'd think 25 cal , 31 cal or similar Rim-Fire (of course) 'OLD' Civil War era ? or late 1800's .

The casting line is 'Strong' on yr other drop , & I think that's COOL!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions