Age on nehi soda bottle.

bartshop62

Banned
Feb 12, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this bottle while metal detecting. It was deep. Bonus in the hole!!! What does it the writing mean on picture 3 and 4. It says DESIGN PAT D MAR 3 25 1 - 01 - 8 - 5 or S. 21. Or 175. Depends on what way you look at it. The bottom also has a jar with a letter J in it. The bottom also says B 56 and has a invisible letter or number next to 56. And on the bottom there is a 2 and a invisible 2 than can be seen with light only attached to 2. I found it on the left side front of a blacksmith shed built in 1874. When was this bottle produced is the patend date the age of the bottle the year or when it was made? 20210129_001238.jpg 20210129_001248.jpg 20210129_001540.jpg 20210129_001618.jpg

Last edited:

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't help you with your questions, but... I do remember drinking a lot of Grape, Orange and Strawberry soda pop out of bottles just like that when I was a kid in the 1950's.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I'm guessing, but I think 1956. The B stands for the month or week in the year.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The history behind the name NEHI:
There are two origin stories for the Nehi name. The first is that when Chero-Cola founder Claude Hatcher sent a salesman to scope out the competition in Alabama, the salesman returned and said the competition was only ā€œknee-highā€. The other is that the early Nehi sample bottles were 2-3 ounces larger than competitor brandsā€™, making the competitors look only ā€œknee-highā€.
Don....

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Based on that site, Don, I like my guess even more.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The patent date is for 3rd March 1925 (Design Patent D 66,755) and this only denotes the date the design was registered, not the date the bottle was produced. Bottles like this were in use until at least the 1950s. The embossed vertical ā€˜ropesā€™ on the lower body and neck/shoulder have given rise to it being nicknamed the ā€˜silk stockingā€™ bottle for their perceived resemblance to hosiery.

What you describe as a ā€œjarā€ with the letter J in it is actually a ā€œkeystoneā€ (like the one Heinz uses) and is the mark for the Knox Glass Bottle Company. The letter indicates which of their plants produced the bottle and ā€˜Jā€™ is for their Jackson, Mississippi factory. It opened in 1932, so thatā€™s the earliest possible date for the bottle, and used that mark until 1952. After that, all plants switched to the letter ā€˜Kā€™ (for Knox) in the keystone.

The standard embossed codes on Knox containers usually comprise three elements: a two digit number followed by a dash; a single, capital letter followed by another dash; and a final one or two-digit numeral. The first two digits identify the set of moulds; the letter represents the type of container (B = Beverages); and the final one or two digit number signifies the capacity of the container (usually in fluid ounces).

Sometimes those first two digits seem to denote a year, but thatā€™s coincidental since itā€™s not a year mark as such. There are numerous deviations from this format and additional numeric or alpha-numeric codes (usually to the right of the keystone) which may or may not be date marks. Generally, they have not been deciphered.

Last edited:

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
Trying to figure the date of this one I found the other day...

Attachments

• Nehi bottle1.jpg
    Nehi bottle1.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 27

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trying to figure the date of this one I found the other day...

Well, you have a patent date for 1925. In that era, design patents were granted for a term of 14 years before expiry, so your bottle would likely have been made between 1925 and 1939.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread