AI could help identify Civil War veterans in your family

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
https://www.foxnews.com/tech/ai-could-help-identify-civil-war-veterans-in-your-family

By Christopher Carbone | Fox News

A computer science professor has built a tool that could allow people to identify Civil War veterans in their families with the help of artificial intelligence.

Kurt Luther, an assistant professor at Virginia Tech, developed a platform called Photo Sleuth after he discovered a picture of a distant relative who had fought in the Civil War.

"Seeing my distant relative staring back at me was like traveling through time,” said Luther in a statement. "Historical photos can tell us a lot about not only our own familial history, but also inform the historical record of the time more broadly than just reading about the event in a history book."

The professor, who considers himself a history buff, was inspired to create the software when he visited the Heinz History Center's exhibit called "Pennsylvania's Civil War" in Pittsburgh in 2013.

That's where he found a portrait of Oliver Croxton, his great-great-great uncle who served in Company E of the 134th Regiment, Pennsylvania, wearing a corporal's uniform.

The Civil War Photo Sleuth project launched in August 2018 as a web-based platform at the National Archives in Washington, D.C.

Users can upload photos, tag them with visual clues – such as the color of a coat, shoulder straps, collar insignia, or inscriptions – and connect them to profiles of Civil War soldiers with more detailed records of military service.

The site’s post-launch success can be attributed in part to the input of its strong user community.

According to a Virginia Tech's press release, more than 600 users contributed more than 2,000 Civil War photos to the website in the first month after the launch, and roughly half of those photos were unidentified. More than 100 of the unknown photos were linked to specific soldiers, and an expert analysis found more than 85 percent of the proposed identifications were probably or definitely correct.

Photo Sleuth cross-references the uploaded images with its database, which contains 15,000 identified Civil War portraits from the public domain, including the U.S. Military History Institute.

The database has grown dramatically since then.

“Typically, crowdsourced research such as this is challenging for novices if users don’t have specific knowledge of the subject area,” Luther said in a statement. “The step-by-step process of tagging visual clues and applying search filters linked to military service records makes this detective work more accessible, even for those that may not have a deeper knowledge of Civil War military history.”

Luther will be demonstrating Photo Sleuth on May 4 at the grand opening of the expanded American Civil War Museum in Richmond, Va.

Upvote 0

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks & that's very interesting & convenient , I just don't trust AI.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Confederate veterans all around me, both sides. I've my GGrandfather's original discharge papers as a POW. I really don't know enough about the paternal side, but I have the papers from my maternal ancestor releasing him as a POW at the end of the war. My folks followed JEB Stuart - the hero of my county here in Stuart, VA.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Google “ soldiers and sailors” of the civil war, I identified some of my ancestors that way. They will have which army, state, unit, company and in some instances copies of discharge/inlistment/desertion paperwork. Very thorough website

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread