Air compressor on a budget.

OP
OP
principedeleon

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
NO ! Don't use a oil compressor because you CAN'T get all the oil residue out of the air stream and it'll ruin your day !!! When it comes to your lung's think SAFTY & RELIABILITY ! There's to many oilless compressor's out there to get!
wow.. These filter swear they could remove it all..

could you please tell me which one i should be looking for and where..
i really havent found ANY oil-less air compressor with a pulley that could replace the standard ones.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I bought a used Brown brand oilless compressor from a friend . I took it apart and checked it out and it seemed to be workable for me. I used a stainless steel "corny keg" that I got from a beverage vender with spare gasket's and a extra lid (in case I lose it ) This has worked for me for at least 10 years until I had to quit dredging due to my health.

OP
OP
principedeleon

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
I bought a used Brown brand oilless compressor from a friend . I took it apart and checked it out and it seemed to be workable for me. I used a stainless steel "corny keg" that I got from a beverage vender with spare gasket's and a extra lid (in case I lose it ) This has worked for me for at least 10 years until I had to quit dredging due to my health.
WOW.. Thanks Rus! i found a vintage one that comes with a pulley and its oil-less. its said to produce 2 cfm at around 40 psi which is perfect..
i would soon in The future keep ya posted with my new lightweight 4" dredge machine..
cant wait !!

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have seen where someone converted an electric Gast compressor to belt drive for dredging. The electric ones are much more common than the ones with a pulley and often cheaper to find used. Gast compressors are great for deeper dredging. As Russau said don’t mess with an Oil compressor when your lungs are involved.

OP
OP
principedeleon

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
I have seen where someone converted an electric Gast compressor to belt drive for dredging. The electric ones are much more common than the ones with a pulley and often cheaper to find used. Gast compressors are great for deeper dredging. As Russau said don’t mess with an Oil compressor when your lungs are involved.
i have done that but its hassle removing the electric motor and then mines didnt last long.. this one i got comes with the pulley already on it.. so its made to be run with a belt which is a good thing.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't be cheap....save for a longer period of time, and buy a reputable brand....your life will depend on it.....don't risk it for a few bucks saved !!

OP
OP
principedeleon

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
Don't be cheap....save for a longer period of time, and buy a reputable brand....your life will depend on it.....don't risk it for a few bucks saved !

i would rather save and put my money into other things the money i have invested in metal detectors and gold mining equipment's is pretty high ..

i just received my air compressor.. and by the looks of it i could tell it looks better built then these " reputable brand ".. i just bought two heavy duty oil-less air compressors for less then half of the price of a T-80 or a Kac 1 air compressor ..

For those who have money to pay for overpriced equipment because gold is high; then go for it.
but someone like me who have experience all the money that goes into this hobby and the risk you take going out to a river with it.. i try to budget so i could break even at soon as possible..

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread