What's new

Air compressor on a budget.

principedeleon

Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2013
Messages
449
Reaction score
158
Golden Thread
0
hey guys, i was thinking on a building a new dredge for diving in deeper waters.. and im wondering if anyone have use a oil compressor with oil / water seperator. The oil-less ones are kinda pricey and hard to get around..
 
NO ! Don't use a oil compressor because you CAN'T get all the oil residue out of the air stream and it'll ruin your day !!! When it comes to your lung's think SAFTY & RELIABILITY ! There's to many oilless compressor's out there to get!
wow.. These filter swear they could remove it all..

could you please tell me which one i should be looking for and where..
i really havent found ANY oil-less air compressor with a pulley that could replace the standard ones.
 
I bought a used Brown brand oilless compressor from a friend . I took it apart and checked it out and it seemed to be workable for me. I used a stainless steel "corny keg" that I got from a beverage vender with spare gasket's and a extra lid (in case I lose it ) This has worked for me for at least 10 years until I had to quit dredging due to my health.
 
I bought a used Brown brand oilless compressor from a friend . I took it apart and checked it out and it seemed to be workable for me. I used a stainless steel "corny keg" that I got from a beverage vender with spare gasket's and a extra lid (in case I lose it ) This has worked for me for at least 10 years until I had to quit dredging due to my health.
WOW.. Thanks Rus! i found a vintage one that comes with a pulley and its oil-less. its said to produce 2 cfm at around 40 psi which is perfect..
i would soon in The future keep ya posted with my new lightweight 4" dredge machine..
cant wait !!
 
I have seen where someone converted an electric Gast compressor to belt drive for dredging. The electric ones are much more common than the ones with a pulley and often cheaper to find used. Gast compressors are great for deeper dredging. As Russau said don’t mess with an Oil compressor when your lungs are involved.
 
I have seen where someone converted an electric Gast compressor to belt drive for dredging. The electric ones are much more common than the ones with a pulley and often cheaper to find used. Gast compressors are great for deeper dredging. As Russau said don’t mess with an Oil compressor when your lungs are involved.
i have done that but its hassle removing the electric motor and then mines didnt last long.. this one i got comes with the pulley already on it.. so its made to be run with a belt which is a good thing.
 
The pully I got eventually was a "off size" but I used a piece of shim stock to "bush" it to fit and tightened it down and it lasted for years !
 
Don't be cheap....save for a longer period of time, and buy a reputable brand....your life will depend on it.....don't risk it for a few bucks saved !!
 
Don't be cheap....save for a longer period of time, and buy a reputable brand....your life will depend on it.....don't risk it for a few bucks saved !

i would rather save and put my money into other things the money i have invested in metal detectors and gold mining equipment's is pretty high ..

i just received my air compressor.. and by the looks of it i could tell it looks better built then these " reputable brand ".. i just bought two heavy duty oil-less air compressors for less then half of the price of a T-80 or a Kac 1 air compressor ..


For those who have money to pay for overpriced equipment because gold is high; then go for it.
but someone like me who have experience all the money that goes into this hobby and the risk you take going out to a river with it.. i try to budget so i could break even at soon as possible..
 
Last edited:
Glad it all worked out....congrats on your new rig !! Go get some gold 👍👍
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom