What's new

Aircraft Ocean Crash Part?

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2007
Messages
1,535
Reaction score
949
Golden Thread
0
Location
Long Beach, California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I found this on a beach at San Pedro, California a few days ago. I'm fairly certain that it is off of an aircraft but would welcome confirmation.

I'd also like to see if I could identify manufacturer from the serial number. I've located a number of ocean crashes close to this beach and would be very interested to possibly attribute the piece to one of the crashes.

Regards and HH, Joe
 

Attachments

  • sanP front sm.webp
    sanP front sm.webp
    53.3 KB · Views: 495
  • sanP back sm.webp
    sanP back sm.webp
    61 KB · Views: 488
  • sanP back ser m.webp
    sanP back ser m.webp
    55.8 KB · Views: 487
You find 1 piece and it has a serial number...thats crazy! You must be able to track that number!!
 
Upvote 0
Hi Dan...I'm an ex-canuk from Montreal.

I suspect that there are many serial numbers on a lot of the parts of an aircraft...a guess on my part.


HH Joe
 
Upvote 0
Most likely a part number or drawing number versus a serial number. Also is the number 151 54330 3? A little hard to tell what the last number is due to the rivet.

Mike
USAF Retired
 
Upvote 0
Ffuries beat me to it. Flush, close tollerance rivits indicate to me that it is the outer skin of an aircraft It is rivited to a longeron or rib, and the piece with the drawing number is a gusset.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hi Tim....been finding any marbles?

Ffuries: the "Part No." is 151_4330. What looks like portion of a digit is actually a scuff mark.

HH Joe
 
Upvote 0
Amazing find! If it helps, the 151 might be a model designation, Piper Aircraft made the Cherokee with a model number PA-28
PA-28-151 was the designation for the Cherokee "Warrior" Maybe call Piper?
 
Upvote 0
Flush-riveted, and I'm assuming it's aluminum. Unless someone's got a sumbersible Airstream, I think your aircraft theory is a good candidate. Anyone have a friend at NTSB?
 
Upvote 0
Thanks, Squirrelcop for the prefix hint,

I did find a USAF designation for the 151- prefix at : http://www.aviationarchaeology.com/src/partaircraft.htm

[F-86 A North American 140,151,161-]

This was also confirmed from e-mail I've traded with the owner of a crash database website...but not sure if there might be the same prefix from a private plane.

Right now I'm trying to find an F-86 A that crashed into the sea in the vicinity of San Pedro - Long Beach - Huntington Beach - Redondo Beach.

HH Joe
 
Upvote 0
That's a great source for detectors. Aircaraft parts show up now and then in the field. Nice to have a place to look up info. Thanks!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom