Alabama Beaches

nascarfan

Jul 17, 2005
Hey Gang, Been awhile since I've posted, was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on how to hunt a beach correctly......Start w/ wet sand first or just do the dry sand........... Will be close to the fort down in Fort Morgan, old civil war and war of 1812 fort..........Sounds like fun. The other thing, I was wondering if my old white's 6000 di pro can handle the salty beaches?????? Keep on digging!!!! Thanks for all your help and insights, Nascarfan

Upvote 0

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow ,I grew up down Ft Morgan Rd. Right by Shell Banks Baptist church(by the 13 mile marker). It was really paradise to grow up there. I have lots of stuff that I found as a kid down there. Old cork bottles, Indian pottery and some musket balls. I took it all that for granite .I did not know how good I had it.All the seafood we could eat right out our back door.There is a bayou on the bay that is like a time capsule.You have to get there at low tide to find good stuff. It is all owned by the fish and wildlife service now.I still like to go down for a visit but lots of memories. It is very illeagle to metal detect close to the fort. I found a chunk of cannonball there about 12 years ago but I only hunted it for about ten minutes(lost my nerve). If you like history Ft Morgan Rd is full of it. From old Pirate stories to Civil war. You and your family should have a good time Enjoy. :)

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only hunted one time on a beach with my 6000 Di but it worked fine with adjustments. I don't recall getting in wet sand though. Good luck. Burdie

MichaelB

Aug 13, 2005
Mobile Bay, Alabama
he Fort and surrounding grounds are off limits and from my experience are heavily patrolled.

Birdman is right, there is lots of history all the way down Fort Morgan but the land is so expensive no one really likes you to mess around on their property. The SHellbanks used to have Indian burial mounds. They were flattened in the early 1900's as people settled heavily into the area. I have some pottery shards from one of the mounds but the mounds are all gone now.

MichaelB

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
I did some detecting down there when I was stationed at P'Cola. I went over to FlorAbama area, actually along the beach where the FlorAbama is/was (bar that used to be right on the state line, heard it got destroyed in hurricane), and had some real good luck. I detected mostly the dry sand areas and came up with $10~$25 in clad almost everytime, and a few rings.

Good luck to you!

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
I Have Always Found My Best Beach Finds In The Wet Sand, But Because Of Erosion In This Area Their Just Happens To Be More Wet Than Dry. Best Of Luck & Good Hunting. trk5capt...

MichaelB

Aug 13, 2005
Mobile Bay, Alabama
Birdman, is there a Shell Banks Church close to mile marker 13? I have found a hand bound family history manual that the families of the Calloway's and Wallaces put together that has been very interesting. If you don't have it I can send your her mailing address, as she sells copies now, she doesn't knowwhat email is? :)

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michael,the church is right past the 13 mile marker.My mothers great grand father donated the land for the church and there used to be a school across the street. I have a lot of relatives buried there in the cemetery. A book on the local history would be great! I will send you a PM. :)

OP
OP
N

nascarfan

Jul 17, 2005
Guys, Thanks so much for all of your replies, that is great info from all. Was not planning on detecting on fort grounds, I see what you're talking about on the expensive grounds, they don't like you snooping around with all the paying customers walking around. I can see that being a problem. Is low tide pretty much the same time every day or does it go by moon phase?..........DA!! It's definitely going to be an experience for me. I was thinking that it probably won't matter too much where I detect because of all the sand being moved around over the last 2 yrs.............Thanks again guys, Nascarfan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread