What's new

Alibates

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2018
Messages
9,189
Reaction score
33,105
Golden Thread
0
Location
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a knapper friend that lives near the Alibates Nat Monument in Potter Co TX. He picks up flakes and debitage the Indians left behind on private property near the monument. He sent me a nice box and I knapped a frame of points. It’s beautiful material and I’d love to visit the monument. As a flint knapper, it would kill me to walk around that place and see all that flint that I couldn’t take home!😩😝
IMG_9482.webp
IMG_9483.webp
 
I have a knapper friend that lives near the Alibates Nat Monument in Potter Co TX. He picks up flakes and debitage the Indians left behind on private property near the monument. He sent me a nice box and I knapped a frame of points. It’s beautiful material and I’d love to visit the monument. As a flint knapper, it would kill me to walk around that place and see all that flint that I couldn’t take home!😩😝View attachment 2202741View attachment 2202742
Great and Beauty collection

I’m in the land where I could find them, but nothing 🥺
Congrats 🥳
 
Amazing work! Did you ever get any Flint from West Virginia?My in-Laws grew up near Renick and I saw a ton of Flint there when we visited.
 
Amazing work! Did you ever get any Flint from West Virginia?My in-Laws grew up near Renick and I saw a ton of Flint there when we visited.
The only flint I know about from WVA is Kanawha black. It’s grainy and difficult to work. I’ve heard there is bluish colored slick hornstone there but have never been able to pinpoint the source. What did your flint look like?
 
The only flint I know about from WVA is Kanawha black. It’s grainy and difficult to work. I’ve heard there is bluish colored slick hornstone there but have never been able to pinpoint the source. What did your flint look like?
It was a light grey color.
 
First point I ever found in SWOK was of alibates flint. I've been to the national monument and cool to see where they quarried that material.
 
A friend of my wife has a house near Phoenix. She met a jewelry maker out there that makes silver bracelets. This is a pic of some of his work.
IMG_0809.webp

I really liked this one.
IMG_0831.webp


I thought it would be cool to have a bracelet with cabs made of Alibates flint. I found a piece of Alibates that I got at a knap-in. It was a preform to make an arrowhead.
IMG_0776.webp

I turned it into two slabs.
IMG_0808.webp


Then I cut out preforms for cabs.
IMG_0819.webp
IMG_0824.webp


I finished 10 cabs. The next time our friend goes to Phoenix I’ll have her contact the jeweler. Hopefully I’ll get a bracelet made.
IMG_0861.webp
 
A friend of my wife has a house near Phoenix. She met a jewelry maker out there that makes silver bracelets. This is a pic of some of his work.View attachment 2222986
I really liked this one.View attachment 2222987

I thought it would be cool to have a bracelet with cabs made of Alibates flint. I found a piece of Alibates that I got at a knap-in. It was a preform to make an arrowhead.View attachment 2222988
I turned it into two slabs.View attachment 2222989

Then I cut out preforms for cabs.View attachment 2222990View attachment 2222991

I finished 10 cabs. The next time our friend goes to Phoenix I’ll have her contact the jeweler. Hopefully I’ll get a bracelet made.View attachment 2222993
Very nice looking work.
I like the spiderweb looking turquoise for some reason.
Reminds me a lot of the Tibetan/Nepalese jewelry I bought 32 yrs ago.

Screenshot_20250829_084334_Chrome.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom