What's new

all around detector?

Frank1960

Hero Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2009
Messages
885
Reaction score
118
Golden Thread
0
Location
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
What is a good water detector that would also be good for relic and coin hunting? I figured I would get one for all 3 jobs that way it is water proof against rain and mist and such. (Read article in Lost Treasure magazine) They gave opinions but wanted actual users opinions also.
 
From what I have heard the Excalibur is a all around machine. I just got minea couple weeks ago and I have only gotten out once with it. But I can not wait to learn it to see what it can do......Matt
 
The Garrett Infinium seems to be the deepest and best all around water and land detector, from what I've read. rockhound
 
Most everyone will recommend Excalibur since it has th epower to knock out iron, but I would look at the Tesoro Tiger Shark also, if they ever start making it again. ???
 
Detectors are like golf clubs, there is really no one do-it-all detector.....It is like asking what single golf club should I buy to go golfing......
 
Treasure_Hunter said:
Detectors are like golf clubs, there is really no one do-it-all detector.....It is like asking what single golf club should I buy to go golfing......

So true. I have an Excal but it's not the best relic machine. If I had to choose one single machine to do it all, I'd personally have to choose the Fisher CZ-20, & 21, it's also the main reason I own them.
 
I have a 1280x and was surprised at how good of a land detector it is.Good depth and good discrimination. The negatives are that it gets noisey in salt water and is a bit heavy but you can get a used one at a bargin these days. I have enjoyed mine thus far.
 
Minelab Sov.GT fantastic in wet sand and shallow water and field hunting as well cant be beat the excal II is not a dry land detector Dd60
 
Treasure_Hunter said:
Detectors are like golf clubs, there is really no one do-it-all detector.....It is like asking what single golf club should I buy to go golfing......

Water detectors are still good on land but are built heavier for the water. They can be hip mounted though. The CZ-20 or 21 has a good pinpoint for grass work but some like the Excal for land, I don't. I used the Sov GT or land sometimes but have fallen in love with the light weight of the Tesoro Tejon. I don't know how it would do on wet saltwater sand but have an idea that it would be unstable.
 
all the water around here is fresh so don't have to worry about salt. A friend loaned me his Garrett Sea Hunter XT500 so hopefully going to get out to the water and give it a try soon. Think it might be best to just have a water detector and a land detector in the long run. Just don't know how much water detecting I will be doing and didn't want it just sitting there. Figured with a water detector I could detect on land even in rain. Thanks for all the advice folks appreciate it!
 
TreasurDiggrNY said:
Get a Fisher 1280X with the chest mount you'll love it :icon_thumright:

Just took a look at one online looks like a good detector
 
If you need depth on iron relics, look at the Garret Infinium. Waterproof to 200 feet,
great for beach, nuggets, and relics. Real deep on coins, but doesn't have a good
enough discriminator for most coin hunting. Like they say, different machines for
different jobs.
Good luck
Rich
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom