HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be honest.. who would want to hunt in cook county? one year a few years ago they had like 490+ homicide cases and that is only what was documented. Cook County is not a place to be hanging around, it is one of the most violent counties in america,if not the most. I don't blame them and It would not surprise me if someone in cook county has been murdered or very badly beaten while MDing once a year. I am all for MDing but that is one county not to mess around in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Captin Scrap

Captin Scrap

May 28, 2012
Detector(s) used
CTX, & ExCal
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am not too famliar with Cook County at all. I didn't know it was that bad.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be honest.. who would want to hunt in cook county? one year a few years ago they had like 490+ homicide cases and that is only what was documented. Cook County is not a place to be hanging around, it is one of the most violent counties in america,if not the most. I don't blame them and It would not surprise me if someone in cook county has been murdered or very badly beaten while MDing once a year. I am all for MDing but that is one county not to mess around in.

I live in Cook County and yeah, it's pretty bad. . . however, with over 68,000 acres of native woodland & open space,
there are goodies to be found in the "less-traveled" wooded areas.

FPDCC coinage.JPG

damiani1

Jun 2, 2013
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro silver umax, Whites Spectrum XLT
Past: Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Damn 460+ homicides, I am Canadian but if I was living in America I would instantly get a concealed weapon permit when I detect...

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish them the best of success. If they can get the ban in Cook County lifted, there may be hope for places like Louisville where it is also banned in all city parks.

Any word on the meeting outcome yesterday?

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Damn 460+ homicides, I am Canadian but if I was living in America I would instantly get a concealed weapon permit when I detect...

I'm not familiar with Illinois, but typically in America, the worse the crime is in a given area, the harder it is to be able to legally carry a gun for protection.

kaa

Oct 14, 2012
Milwaukee, WI
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live in a larger city, and really, people who spout off a statistic and use it as a reason to avoid an area don't understand statistics, and don't understand the entire issue much either. First off, you have more homicides when there are more people, it's in a ratio related to population density. Secondly, subtract all the homicides which are drug/gang related, because, if you aren't *doing* those activities, your odds of being murdered go down quite drastically within a city. Also, within a city limits, there can be a drastic difference in rates of crime even in a 10 block distance, plus, you'd be metal detecting during daylight, not exactly the hour most violent crime happens in the first place. I grew up in the country, and every friend and relative who comes to visit me has the same silly unrealistic type fear of crime, and a lot of times that affects what we go do, and I feel like they really miss out on a lot of cool experience.

ps. this ban was not for the beaches in chicago also, I hope?

dirtfisher23

Jul 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are lots of places to metal detect. I'd leave Cook county alone.
Maybe we should do what General Sherman did when he marched through
Atlanta...AND BURN THE PLACE DOWN and then march on to Detroit.
Once the litter is cleared away be easier to MD.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
...... ps. this ban was not for the beaches in chicago also, I hope?

No, it was for the undeveloped forest county lands only. Nothing to do with anywhere else.

But hey, here's the way to get that changed. Because, as your question shows, anytime some geographic locale and some rule gets posted, someone else is sure to wonder, much like you, what it applies to. So the best way to find out, you might *think*, is ........ to go ask, right? Seems like the logical knee-jerk reaction (who better to ask, than the entity themselves, eh?) . So if you go to other Chicago area entities and ask them "can I metal detect on the beaches?", then they too will have the light-bulbs go off in their heads. They'll think "gee, do we really want a bunch of yahoos running around with shovels? Gee, we better make a rule".

Thus the genesis of all this cr*p, the vast majority of the time. And all it takes is scary stories like these cook county forests ones, which send others scurrying to go ask "just to be sure". Hence only purpetating the same vicious cycle :(

But to answer your question, no, it's not the beaches (unless, of course, you were referring to a beach within the forest preserve?).

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does this have to do with metal detecting... Chicago is COOK COUNTY for those who DON'T KNOW ANYTHING. More land to hunt then Stafford VA.... You may be honest but not well educated..

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That one barber half and that 1866 IH looks familiar. Thats only half a years finds too

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Cook County and yeah, it's pretty bad. . . however, with over 68,000 acres of native woodland & open space,
there are goodies to be found in the "less-traveled" wooded areas.

View attachment 837277

That one barber half and that 1866 IH looks familiar. Thats only half a years finds too

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does this have to do with metal detecting... Chicago is COOK COUNTY for those who DON'T KNOW ANYTHING. More land to hunt then Stafford VA.... You may be honest but not well educated..

Yah but in Stafford,VA we had over 140,000+ union soldiers move through and camp here for almost 3 years.. And that don't count the Confederates : ) Whats the civil war finds like in Cook County? I just don't think people starting out MDing should do it in Cook county, you have probably been doing it for years and know what's up..

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

I live in Cook County.

You know nothing about Cook County, aside from what you see on the news, perhaps read in some stat sheet. The situation is dynamic, not binary COOK COUNTY HAZ MURDERS COOK COUNTY BAD! Its a big place. There are people who pay $2,000,000 for a condo in cook county, there are places in Cook County where you can't sell a house for $5000.

Probably shouldn't be giving people 'advice' on something you literally know nothing about, since you appear goofy and clueless to people who do know about that stuff.

Edward1976

Jul 9, 2013
USA for now.
Detector(s) used
DFX300, XLT, Laser
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, please stop encouraging people to detect in land without permission. According to SFWeekly I was reading this afternoon by the Ferry Building, where you live, Salinas has had 12 murders in 9 days, seems to me I'd encourage people NOT to go into shady areas. Hmmmmm?

SilverLust91

Jul 24, 2013
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom, please stop encouraging people to detect in land without permission. According to SFWeekly I was reading this afternoon by the Ferry Building, where you live, Salinas has had 12 murders in 9 days, seems to me I'd encourage people NOT to go into shady areas. Hmmmmm?

I believe Tom was simply stating to be cognitive of the public rules regarding MDing without causing a lot of potential negative attention toward it. If you go out to city hall before checking public local laws then it may draw unwarranted attention to detecting because they don't have knowledge of the kind of typical digging activity etc. that occurs on site. If its not in the local laws then proceed without giving someone a chance to "interpret the law for you" so to speak because they will ask someone higher up the chain who eventually most likely will say "NO." Check local laws and continue with good sense on public land. If you do that you'll be fine. If approached cooperate with city officials and then ask questions stating that you have indeed been inside the confines of public law to the best of your knowledge. It will represent the hobby well with this type of attitude and respective caution.

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe Tom was simply stating to be cognitive of the public rules regarding MDing without causing a lot of potential negative attention toward it. If you go out to city hall before checking public local laws then it may draw unwarranted attention to detecting because they don't have knowledge of the kind of typical digging activity etc. that occurs on site. If its not in the local laws then proceed without giving someone a chance to "interpret the law for you" so to speak because they will ask someone higher up the chain who eventually most likely will say "NO." Check local laws and continue with good sense on public land. If you do that you'll be fine. If approached cooperate with city officials and then ask questions stating that you have indeed been inside the confines of public law to the best of your knowledge. It will represent the hobby well with this type of attitude and respective caution.

Well put silver I agree .

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
thanx joe-hunter and silver-lust. Well said.

Edward1976, if permission is needed, fine, then one should obtain it. But if permission is not needed, (in the absence of a prohibition for an activity), then ....so be it.

I don't recall encouraging people to go detect in any high crime "shady" areas. I lost you there bro. :icon_scratch:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please do not insult members, directly or indirectly does not matter, they both violate rules and can earn a timeout....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread