All nickels today

djm of PA

Jun 11, 2010
Carsonville, PA
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac and White's Classic 4
Went to my ever-giving church yard next to the house today just to mess around a little bit. I decided that two tone ferrous and I needed to give it another try, as we didn't seem to like each other last time. First target, 1907 V Nickel.....next target 1954 nickel. Left the front yard and went to the back for a little while, found a bunch of junk and a Lady Esther Silver Plate spoon and a nice old buckle. After being swarmed by bees I decided to head back to the front before I got stung. The minute I stepped back in the front yard, I had the 1943-P silver war nickel. To be honest, at this point I was thinking, wow, a buffalo and I"ll be set! I headed next door to the old general store because I had found buffalos there before. spent over an hour looking and never found a coin. Went back to the front yard and unbelievably, pulled a 1916 buffalo!!!! TTF has me sold because the area I found these nickels is 10X20 at most and I have been in that little square dozens of times and even had Hoover(Jeff :tongue3:) in there once and these coins still remained due to all the trash on top of them.

One more oddity today, seemed like my etrac was acting as an electric ground probe. Nightcrawlers were coming out of the ground all over the place around my coil and taking off away from it. very very odd, never had that happen before and we are taking dozens, not just one or two :dontknow:

Attachments

• DSC_0393 (3).jpg
    DSC_0393 (3).jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 417
  • DSC_0395 (2).jpg
    DSC_0395 (2).jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 423
  • DSC_0396 (2).jpg
    DSC_0396 (2).jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 420
Upvote 0

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
Great finds! I'm thinking with all of the nicks found, other diggers have 'cherry-picked' that area for silver, but that means there's likely gold jewelry there too. Back in the day, the church likely had outdoor luncheons, ice cream socials (the ones where I grew up still do........). Aunt Helen's 18k ring is laying out there for you to find.

jas314

Jul 28, 2011
Washington
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love finding old nickels! Just as good as silver in my book :thumbsup:

DKinPA

Aug 21, 2005
Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Minelab ETrac & Tesoro Silver UMax
WOW!! Nice day Den!!

I told you that TTF would be your friend if you let it...LOL!!

Congrats!!

Dave

OP
OP
djm of PA

djm of PA

Jun 11, 2010
Carsonville, PA
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac and White's Classic 4
DK, you inspired me!! After hearing you say nothing but good about it, I had to give it another try. THANKS for the tip :headbang:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool on the nickels :thumbsup:

odd on the worms :o

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
etrac is KILLER on nickels! congrats!

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II
You know I was thinking I was crazy . The v3i has made some night crawlers come to the surface very fast . I never metioned it or even thought about it much. As for nickels I have trippled my nickels on each outing . All jeffersons so far but I am sure it is only a matter of time to put a slam up. I found six yesterday that tied a personal record . Like someone else posted in this string the gold should not be far behind HH Rob. :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions