Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After a long, hot summer, I got out yesterday for a few hours. Nice day, not too hot, the ground was perfect from all the rain we had last week, and the grass in the cow pasture was shorter than it is in my back yard right now :laughing7:. I went to the old mid 19th century house site where I found two early one piece military buttons this spring. I have pounded that place to death and didn't find much there, but there is another late 1800s early 1900s house site about 150 yards away in the same pasture. I spent some time there yesterday and scored a GAR medal shaped like a star, a watch fob from a jeweler in Lock Haven, PA, a small crotel bell, a gilted Benedict & Burnham flower button, a couple flat buttons, and two "coppers" - 1909 and 1910 Lincoln cents - LOL.

The GAR metal is pretty cool. I can make out "Grand Army of the..." but "Republic" is illegible. Between 1861 and 1865 it says "Veteran". I just noticed this morning on closer examination that the back has all the corps badges of the union army encircling a federal shield.

Attachments

• All Dirty.jpg
    All Dirty.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 709
  • All clean.jpg
    All clean.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 694
  • Button back.jpg
    Button back.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 695
  • Button front.jpg
    Button front.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 712
  • Fob back.jpg
    Fob back.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 727
  • Fob front.jpg
    Fob front.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 705
  • GAR back1.jpg
    GAR back1.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 747
  • GAR front1.jpg
    GAR front1.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 717
Upvote 0

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool finds. I think that makes the 3rd or 4th GAR medal I've seen posted this year. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a Terrific Find Steve, and a BEAUTIFUL GREEN PATINA! Congratulations! :icon_thumleft: :wink:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Steve, you have made a great start to fall hunting season. That G.A.R. medal is a beaut and that's a nice looking flower button. Wishing you a great fall hunting season, Quindy.

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find! A great piece of history saved! Very nice relics as well.

Tony (NC)

Dec 3, 2008
Claremont, NC
That Medal is SWEET Steve....

Here is a non-dug one I have in my collection. Your's used to look like this.....Here is some information on your badge:

GAR Badge...
Here is a little history of the GAR badge:

The Grand Army Badge

The badge is of bronze, made from cannons captured in battle during the Civil War, and is in a form of a five-pointed star, similar in design to the two hundred Medals of Honor, authorized by an act of Congress to be given to the soldiers and sailors most distinguished for meritorious and gallant conduct during the Civil War.

THE OBVERSE -- in the center of the badge is the figure of the goddess of liberty, representing loyalty. On either side, a soldier and a sailor clasping hands, representing fraternity, and two children receiving benediction and assurance of protection from the comrades, representing charity. On each side of the group is the National Flag and the Eagle, representing freedom; and the axe, or bundle of rods, or fasco, representing Union. In each point of the star is the insignia of the various branches of service -- the bugle for infantry, the crossed cannons for artillery, the crossed muskets for marines, the crossed sabers for cavalry, and the anchor for the sailors. Over the central groups are the words "Grand Army of the Republic" and under "1861 -- Veterans -- 1866" commemorating the commencement and close of the rebellion and also the date of organization of the Order.

THE REVERSE SIDE represents a branch of laurel, the crown and reward of the brave, in each point of the star. The National Shield is in the center, surrounded by the twenty-four recognized Corps Badges, numerically arranged, each on a keystone and all linked together, showing they are united and will guard and protect the shield of the nation. Around the center is a circle of stars representing the states of the union comrpising the Grand Army of the Republic.

Attachments

• GAR1.jpg
    GAR1.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 622
  • GAR5.jpg
    GAR5.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 607
  • GAR4.jpg
    GAR4.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 529
  • GAR3.jpg
    GAR3.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 532
  • GAR2.jpg
    GAR2.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 555

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool find Steve! :notworthy:

Just found this one for sale on eBay, currently at $62.

Dave

Attachments

• GAR Medal 001.jpg
    GAR Medal 001.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 1,242
  • GAR Medal 002.jpg
    GAR Medal 002.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 1,200
  • GAR Medal 003.jpg
    GAR Medal 003.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 1,142
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: That Medal is SWEET Steve....

Tony (NC) said:
Here is a non-dug one I have in my collection. Your's used to look like this.....Here is some information on your badge:

GAR Badge...
Here is a little history of the GAR badge:

The Grand Army Badge

The badge is of bronze, made from cannons captured in battle during the Civil War, and is in a form of a five-pointed star, similar in design to the two hundred Medals of Honor, authorized by an act of Congress to be given to the soldiers and sailors most distinguished for meritorious and gallant conduct during the Civil War.

THE OBVERSE -- in the center of the badge is the figure of the goddess of liberty, representing loyalty. On either side, a soldier and a sailor clasping hands, representing fraternity, and two children receiving benediction and assurance of protection from the comrades, representing charity. On each side of the group is the National Flag and the Eagle, representing freedom; and the axe, or bundle of rods, or fasco, representing Union. In each point of the star is the insignia of the various branches of service -- the bugle for infantry, the crossed cannons for artillery, the crossed muskets for marines, the crossed sabers for cavalry, and the anchor for the sailors. Over the central groups are the words "Grand Army of the Republic" and under "1861 -- Veterans -- 1866" commemorating the commencement and close of the rebellion and also the date of organization of the Order.

THE REVERSE SIDE represents a branch of laurel, the crown and reward of the brave, in each point of the star. The National Shield is in the center, surrounded by the twenty-four recognized Corps Badges, numerically arranged, each on a keystone and all linked together, showing they are united and will guard and protect the shield of the nation. Around the center is a circle of stars representing the states of the union comrpising the Grand Army of the Republic.

Hey Tony, thanks for the info on my GAR badge. I was wondering about the symbolism in the image on the front. Nice to see one in non dug condition. Speaking of GAR Badges, check out this one I eyeballed on the surface of a bottle dump when I was a teenager.

Attachments

• GARMedal-B.jpg.JPG
    GARMedal-B.jpg.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 491
  • GARMedal-F1.jpg.JPG
    GARMedal-F1.jpg.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 487
  • GARMedal-B.jpg.JPG
    GARMedal-B.jpg.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 479
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ANTIQUARIAN said:
Very cool find Steve! :notworthy:

Just found this one for sale on eBay, currently at $62.

Dave

Thanks Dave, and thanks for the image of a non dug one.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful dig's Steve.....the GAR Badge is awesome :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread