What's new

Allende meteorite

stonecutter1

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2011
Messages
95
Reaction score
42
Golden Thread
0
Location
Shawnee, KS
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites MXT,Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I purchased this meteorite 40 years ago. It was from a major meteorite fall in Northern Mexico, February 1968 (I think). It is called pueblito de allende. It is a carbonaceous chondrite type 3 stone meteorite. It cost me $1.00 per gram back then. I wish I would have bought a lot more.
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    44.1 KB · Views: 437
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,052
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    57.1 KB · Views: 283
Wow, that is a nice fragment, with decent fusion crust. Recently a few dealers have traded out some fresh material from ASU. I have a few slices/fragments, it is an incredible meteorite.
 
A buck/gram. Ah, the good old days.
 
Yeah, I think this piece is closer to $10/gram now.
 
Check out the results for the oct 14th heritage auction of meteorites. Know a lot of these were museum quality pieces, but it will give you an idea of current prices for high quality meteors. Many went for well above estimates. I watched the auction over the Internet - was very cool.

Best
 
One of the best aspects of Allende- it contains micro diamonds that condensed from the pre-solar nebula
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom